Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
alinoee
Registered Member

Default honda steed 400cc will not start. pls help

i have problem with starting my honda steed. battery is 3 month old. it will not start from car battery either (well it will onece before it discharges it). it tries to start (very slowly) but it cant kick in. bike will start barely from car when car running. i took starter apart clean brushes etc and there was bit improvement but not much. i figured it is solenoid/starter but i got them checked and they apparently good. mechanic told me that it could be bendix. i took cover out and (pict attached) two wheels are moving very easily clockwise. will not move counter wise - can it be bendix?.cant afford to get her towed and fixed properly and i hate to see her rust. if you could give me some advice how to get it to turn over properly or any direction i would appreciate it.
thanks for help.
alinoee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Your Steed has not stood you in good stead. Storry to steer that.

What happens when you try to push start it?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

All the bexindix does is engage and dis-engage the starter from the start gear cluster. Take the starter off the bike, put it on a bench, hit it with 12 volts and see what happens. If the bendix mechanism pushes the start gear out, and then retracts it when you t remove the juice, it's working.

Sounds to me like you've got a starter that's shot. Either the armiture or the bearings have gone bye-bye. Get another one from a salvage yard and have at it.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

And use care when torqueing-down those casebolts when you put it all back-together - it's quite easy to strip the threads in the holes out, and it is also similarly easy to crack the cover - the bolt-torque is probably measured in single-digit inch-pound increments....................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
alinoee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
All the bexindix does is engage and dis-engage the starter from the start gear cluster. Take the starter off the bike, put it on a bench, hit it with 12 volts and see what happens. If the bendix mechanism pushes the start gear out, and then retracts it when you t remove the juice, it's working.

Sounds to me like you've got a starter that's shot. Either the armiture or the bearings have gone bye-bye. Get another one from a salvage yard and have at it.
steed is like shadow. bendix is within the engine apparently . when i take the starter out and hit it with power - it just keep rolling like 'electric' engine.
thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Bendix! BENDIX!!! Bendix, you get out of that engine RIGHT THIS MINUTE or there's going to be trouble!

BENDIX!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post
steed is like shadow. bendix is within the engine apparently . when i take the starter out and hit it with power - it just keep rolling like 'electric' engine.
thanks
Anyways - the "Bendix" is a one-way sprag-clutch; it's supposed to "lock" when force is applied in one-direction, spin freely when applied in the other. That way, the starter-motor will crank the engine-over, and when the engine catches and runs will not spin or interfere with the starter, or wear it out, as the force is applied in the OPPOSITE direction. Primitive, but effective.

Other than telling you that, I can't help you. You have a Manual for this bike, yes?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

William Bendix invented it back in '26 on the first Pontiac.

Last edited by mscuddy : 05-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
alinoee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Bendix! BENDIX!!! Bendix, you get out of that engine RIGHT THIS MINUTE or there's going to be trouble!
BENDIX!!!!!
i thought so but wasn't sure.
i know that you will think i'm an idiot but hey - i never took it apart so - how to you get to bendix? (pict above)
thanks a mill.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
alinoee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Anyways - the "Bendix" is a one-way sprag-clutch; it's supposed to "lock" when force is applied in one-direction, spin freely when applied in the other. That way, the starter-motor will crank the engine-over, and when the engine catches and runs will not spin or interfere with the starter, or wear it out, as the force is applied in the OPPOSITE direction. Primitive, but effective.

Other than telling you that, I can't help you. You have a Manual for this bike, yes?
not really. i have steed 400 from jap (learner bike) (my manual is close to 600 shadow ) but still - it gives me an idea how to change oil and baterry!!! thanks for help thou.