Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I don't get it, that damn motor has enough aluminum and gears to be at least 1200 cee cees, but it's a 400? Man, the pistons must be tiny, like 200 cee cees each....wow...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
alinoee
Registered Member

[quote=mscuddy;212067]William Bendix invented it back in '26 on the first Pontiac.
i know who he was and how it works but 2 problems.
1.wasn't sure if this is the problem
2.never seen one
there is no point in trying to insult me as you can see .
i'm just trying to get her up on feet again.
alinoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
alinoee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
I don't get it, that damn motor has enough aluminum and gears to be at least 1200 cee cees, but it's a 400? Man, the pistons must be tiny, like 200 cee cees each....wow...
i recon it was either for some japan tax reason or irish provisional drivers.
either way 400 cc.
thanks for help so far.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=alinoee;212074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
William Bendix invented it back in '26 on the first Pontiac.
2.never seen one
alinoee, we take our insults very seriously around here. You've been treated with kindness, gentle prompts, and helpful hints.

WTF do you want you ungrateful a-hole? Ok, fine, I'll drive over and fix it for you. Where do you live?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

[quote=Kenneth_Moore;212076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post

alinoee, we take our insults very seriously around here. You've been treated with kindness, gentle prompts, and helpful hints.

WTF do you want you ungrateful a-hole? Ok, fine, I'll drive over and fix it for you. Where do you live?
Now now Ken! Is that any way for a Liberal to speak?? You are kind and caring Ken. Don't forget that!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
alinoee
Registered Member

[quote=Kenneth_Moore;212076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinoee View Post

as i said. i'm greatfull for any help. i recon posting pict of bendix was rather joke at my expense. fair enough. i'm trying to get her up and running for as little cost as i have to spend on now.
[quote=longride;212079]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Now now Ken! Is that any way for a Liberal to speak?? You are kind and caring Ken. Don't forget that!
cheers
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
2.never seen one
Well, if you know what it is, and how it works...... You asked:

Quote:
i took cover out and (pict attached) two wheels are moving very easily clockwise. will not move counter wise - can it be bendix?
That IS how the Bendix works - seems to be working properly too.

So, offhand I'd say it wasn't the problem (without more info pointing to it).

The problem, from what I've been able to piece-together from your description of it, seems to be that the starter will not crank the engine over with the bike-battery, right? And will not crank with a car-battery, right? But, it WILL crank with the car running.

You said the starter-motor ran, when taken out of the bike and a battery applied, correct? How fast did it run? It should have been VERY fast, and when you applied power to the starter, it should have almost wanted to jump off the table. If not, the starter is failing, and just does not have enough life left in it to start the engine.

If it DOES do those things, your problem lies elsewhere - possibly in the wiring - if the heavy wire from the battery to the starter-solenoid and starter is substantially corroded beneath the insulation, it can have enough resistance to prevent sufficient voltage from flowing to the starter-motor to turn-over the engine. What you described trying to start the bike from a car is almost a classic example of this problem.

If you have a volt-meter, take a reading at the starter-motor terminal when engaging it - if it is substantially below battery-voltage, you've probably found your answer.

Can you kick-start or push-start the bike? If not, or if it's VERY hard to kick/push start, you may have another problem inside the engine.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=longride;212079]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

Shut UP you old Fu<k or I'll come over and burn your house down.

In a kinder, gentler way.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
alinoee
Registered Member

The problem, from what I've been able to piece-together from your description of it, seems to be that the starter will not crank the engine over with the bike-battery, right?
right
And will not crank with a car-battery, right?
it wil crank onece. no chance to crank it again - car battery is drained.
But, it WILL crank with the car running.
yes
You said the starter-motor ran, when taken out of the bike and a battery applied, correct?
yes
How fast did it run?
idle run. cars were blocking drive way. it goes as long as petrol is in the tank
It should have been VERY fast, and when you applied power to the starter, it should have almost wanted to jump off the table.
i'm not sure what you are asking but starter was secured.

your problem lies elsewhere - possibly in the wiring -
i dont thik its wiring. i have disconnected most of it

if the heavy wire from the battery to the starter-solenoid and starter is substantially corroded beneath the insulation, it can have enough resistance to prevent sufficient voltage from flowing to the starter-motor to turn-over the engine.
What you described trying to start the bike from a car is almost a classic example of this problem.
i cleaned every connection.

Can you kick-start or push-start the bike? If not, or if it's VERY hard to kick/push start, you may have another problem inside the engine.[/quote]
it seems to be harder to push-start her. she kicks off but it feels much more harder than couple years ago when battery has died.
thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It drains a car battery with 1 start attempt unless the car is running? Damn, it's pulling a LOT of amps to do that. Either the starter motor is goofed up internally, or maybe AirHawk's suggestion that the primary wire to the starter needs replacing. My HD wore a hole in that wire on a regular basis and it would short. Find the big cable on the positive battery terminal and remove and inspect it. Ensure the end terminals are tight and there are no bare spots in the insulation.