Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Givi bags warning

I learned something. I bought a pair of 21 liter hard bags for my ZRX1100. They came with matched keys which is fine. However I learned that the keys Givi provides are made from the cheapest softest metal they could find. It is very easy to bend one of these keys and break the shaft off in a lock. I did manage to get the stub out with a bent paper clip and a lot of cussing. So I suggest to anyone who buys this luggage to immediately go to a locksmith and have some quality keys made up. Fortunately the key broke off in town after I unloaded the bag. It would be a real bummer to break one of these off while traveling through Bumfock, North Dakota.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default I had a better day today than you did!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Did you you hear about the 2.5 acre H-D dealership in Laz Vegas?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
mugwump58
Registered Member

Giggle, snicker. Most popular thread! I didn't dare open one of them, fear, fear I tell ya.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

I have a Givi 46 Liter beast and the key seems to be of reasonable quality. I have had no issues.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
sapphire123
Banned

I don't usually watch tv, per se. I do, however, I love certain objects that arrive in a plain brown wrapper! a pair of batteries a network & cable series and my "little buddy" and I'm set! This time I bought dvds in internet.Now- for this specifically: Let me just say that I don't think I've ever embraced so whole-heartedly such a guilty pleasure before in all my history here on earth.

In short, I just love this show! I've went through 3 boxes of batteries already!

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-20-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: made it more interesting...
sapphire123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Givi gripes: the hardware for the rack was barely good enough for a tabletop hibachi. I replaced all of it with stainless when I installed. They sent 4 keys. Two work on both bags, two don't work on either. I guess they just tossed in an extra pair? The rack instruction sheet was absurd.

Givi highs: twice now they've taken the hit when the biken went down; once in the parking lot incident with the QTip and the other when I tried rolling the bike forward on the Pitbull stand from the back (the front wheel will go over to one side or the other and the bike falls over). Both times the bags took the weight and suffered no damage, only tiny scratches in the pastic.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well I bought a set of side rails for my factory installed saddlebags specifically so they DON't take the hit if the bike falls over. In fact they shipped today from good ol' Chicago HD ! I should have them in my grubby hands and on the bike in a few days I reckon!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well I bought a set of side rails for my factory installed saddlebags specifically so they DON't take the hit if the bike falls over. In fact they shipped today from good ol' Chicago HD ! I should have them in my grubby hands and on the bike in a few days I reckon!
Well sure, if you've got those cheesy HD bags that splinter if you sneeze at them hard...

Nah, I envy the HD bags, especially the top opening. They're smaller than most of the equivalent Givi bags, but damn, who came up with the "clamshell" design? I have the fitted interior bags but most times I just want to toss in a few odds and ends...which wind up on the ground when I open the case.

When my pal Mike lowsided his Road King the bag bars and the "engine guard" (we're not allowed to call them "crash bars" anymore" took all the impact. It left some minor scrapes on the bag bars, and he had to get a new engine guard, but without them, it would have been much more expensive and he probably couldn't have kept going to Daytona.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

"who came up with the "clamshell" design? "

I hear ya, I had my military spec binocs in one of my side cases on my bmw. I opened it and the weight of those bad boys flung open the side case and when it hit the stop strap it snapped the plastic holder. So now one clam shell opens 90degrees and the other 180. Or I'm always stuffing something in around the edges when packing. No digging required though, so give and take I guess...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote