Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
tecrekka
Registered Member

Default '79 CX500D question

Hello everyone. I think I already know the answer to this but want to be sure before I start messing with this. I just noticed a slight oil leak from around the tensioner lock bolt on my CX500D. I looked at the diagrams from honda and there is a small o-ring behind it but I also noticed that I appears that this bolt is a pivot point for the timing chain tensioner. I'm not 100% positive that it is but I'd really like to get a second opinion if anyone is familiar with this particular bike. It's not bad and I can deal with it if I have to but if I can easily just pull the bolt and replace the seal that would be much better. The seal I'm talking about is Honda part #91312-415-000 ("18") that seats on Honda part # 90087-415-010 ("15"). Thanks in advance for any information on this fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CamChainTensioner.jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
tecrekka is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, that's the adjustment bolt for the cam chain tensioner. Get a manual and see if the bolt just impinges against a slipper-type arrangement, or if there's a roller or something on the other side of the bolt that will fall off, and drop into the dark abyss of the lower end.

Or you can just forget about the leak and put a Triumph or Harley sticker over the Honda insignia on the tank, tell everyone you're testing a new model for the factory.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
tecrekka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post

Or you can just forget about the leak and put a Triumph or Harley sticker over the Honda insignia on the tank, tell everyone you're testing a new model for the factory.

Good luck.

HAHA! I see I'm going to like this forum and feel comfortable with my own sense of humor!

I've got a manual at home but I'm about 200 miles away (hey, it was a nice day!) and was just wondering if I could fix it while I was away. It doesn't look good, and I dont know if you are familiar with the bike but the motor is transversely mounted so if I got to get into the box to fix it, the motor would have to be pulled. In which case I think I will go with the decal fix!

Thanks again for the input, and the great idea!
tecrekka is offline   Reply With Quote