Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Carb icing is when you're riding near freezing in high humidity, the temperature drops as the air velocity increases through the carb throat causing the moisture in the air to freeze and stick to the throat. Carb heaters like the ones in new Triumph Twins heat up the throats enough to prevent the ice from forming. It's a real b*tch to deal with and usually shows up after a long high speed run like pulling off the freeway, you chop the throttle and the bike dies. It usually restarts after a few minutes as the engine heat melts the ice, but the bike runs like crap for awhile untill things balance back out.
Cripes, I remember turning on carb heaters on a Cessna 172 I flew with a friend a few times, but I had no idea this could happen at less than several thousand feet of altitude. This sort of puts a crimp on the "pee on the carb" solution; you'd have to have a tremendous bladder capacity if you were going more than a few miles. Wrapping the handgrip heater tape around the thing seems like a reasonable idea if you've got some sort of on-board fire extinguisher system in case the heater sparks off the gas.

Maybe you could just wait till it warms up a little and then ride. Nah...

BTW: Is Mdme. Iron Buns gone forever? I liked the old bat, she was pretty fun.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
BTW: Is Mdme. Iron Buns gone forever? I liked the old bat, she was pretty fun.

I hope not.

Buz, she is somewhere in your neck o' the woods. You know anything?

Maybe she is headed for Seattle...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

She got upset with one of our frequant posters over a comment he made and pulled out. I would hope she comes back at some point, she was a good egg.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
She got upset with one of our frequant posters over a comment he made and pulled out. I would hope she comes back at some point, she was a good egg.
If it was that joke about sticking my thumb in a dike, I'm sorry.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If it was that joke about sticking my thumb in a dike, I'm sorry.
Naw, it was AirHawk. She shoulda messaged me and I'd have rapped his knuckles for her. AirHawk needs a good spanking every once in a while and Sachi is just the person to do it. I'll loan her my chainsaw.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Naw, it was AirHawk. She shoulda messaged me and I'd have rapped his knuckles for her. AirHawk needs a good spanking every once in a while and Sachi is just the person to do it. I'll loan her my chainsaw.
OK, now I KNOW yer April Foolin' - cuz if'n it were ME - there is No Way, No How that I would NOT know what I did, and Directly from Her............

Don't ask me how I know this for Fact.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It was a comment you made about step kids dude, apparently it hit her right between the eyes.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
It was a comment you made about step kids dude, apparently it hit her right between the eyes.
Considering the wording and tone of many of the OTHER, less-tame posts in that thread, and the tone of her OWN posts, I have a hard time grasping the concept that my singular post (which was almost-immediately moderated-away) is the one that elicited this timorous, quite un-Sachi-like reaction.

I typed it without any conscious personal enmity or latent requital toward her (she knows to what I'm referring here), but with a mind toward getting her to see a point of view she was hitherto refusing to acknowledge was valid in any way.

Perhaps it did, indeed come-across as a bit callous and apathetic. Oft have I been such, even in person. However, with no evidence to the contrary, I must meet the charge of impassivity and insensibility with my only defense: I must throw myself upon the Mercy of the Court, and beg Pardon.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #29
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

This thread is hilarious. +1 for peeing on stuff.

Senor Mugwump, why don't you just pull the trigger on that XR1200 you were ranting about. It's fuel injected and you were so happy after drinking a gallon of chardonnay and finding out there's a set of softbags for it....or something.

AirHawk, personally I think you should be free from moderation. It'd be fun to read the stuff you come up with if left unfettered.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Considering the wording and tone of many of the OTHER, less-tame posts in that thread, and the tone of her OWN posts, I have a hard time grasping the concept that my singular post (which was almost-immediately moderated-away) is the one that elicited this timorous, quite un-Sachi-like reaction.

I typed it without any conscious personal enmity or latent requital toward her (she knows to what I'm referring here), but with a mind toward getting her to see a point of view she was hitherto refusing to acknowledge was valid in any way.

Perhaps it did, indeed come-across as a bit callous and apathetic. Oft have I been such, even in person. However, with no evidence to the contrary, I must meet the charge of impassivity and insensibility with my only defense: I must throw myself upon the Mercy of the Court, and beg Pardon.

Whatever the case may be, it frosted her ass pretty good. For what it's worth I have my own kids and step kids from previous marriges and current relationships and I suppose on some level there are different feelings involved, but realistically they all need someone to watch out for them.

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-02-2009 at 08:31 AM.