Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I pulled out the airbox, the batttery box, took the throttle loose and disconnected the cable. I was all set to remove the carbs and get busy when I find this third cable which dives into the engine case. It has a weird 3-way connection at the throttle cables. I assume it's some sort of advance. So I pulled the brake and kickstart levers and removed the sidecase. Still can't get to the end of that cable. The good news is that all the stuff inside the engine shows little wear, the shafts don't wobble and the gears look almost new.

I ordered the manual weeks ago...still not here. Somebody needs to scan a factory manual into .pdf and post it. Not for me, for the kids, do it for the children.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ken, I always used parts dip that's water based. It gets rid of all that brown gunk (varnish) that builds up inside the float bowl (if the bike was left sitting for a long time) and jet passageways. Get a parts brush and let the carbs soak overnight in the stuff, then brush away all the old effluvia and watch those old carbs start to shine.

Do you have an air compressor? If so get a nozzil so you can blow all the crap out of the itsy bitsy air holes and stuff inside the carb body of the Mikuni. It's simple sutff there buddy, and kind of fun.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That 3rd cable goes to the autolube pump. Very important!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
That 3rd cable goes to the autolube pump. Very important!
Aha, it's metering the oil based on throttle opening. Amazing how they did stuff with cables and cams before chips and solenoids came along. Lunch is over; back to the shop to drill the heads off some bolts to finish the sidecover removal.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-14-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
BUUUZZZZNNNNTTT!!! Wrong answer, Hawkisan. You now on Klazy Ken Plobation. One more wrong answer you on double secret plobation. You go now. You stupid.
BZZZZZZZZT! Wrong answer for YOU!

I do all my own carb/FI work.

You paid absolutely no attention to the second-half of my previous post.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Matt, THANK YOU! You just gave me a well needed kick in the ass. I'll call Cindy and order the parts and in the meantime pull them and start cleaning.

I remember this stuff years ago you'd buy in a small bucket; you could soak the carbs in to get the goo loose. Anything in particular best for loosening the varnish etc? Lacquer thinner, acetone, naptha, LSD?
If the slide-diaphragms are intact and non-holey, do not - I repeat DO NOT hit/soak/look at them with carb cleaner in any form - it causes the rubber to swell and stretch, and will shorten the life of them to minutes in your hand at the worst, or make it a cuss-fest when trying to reseat them in the carb at the best.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
I pulled out the airbox, the batttery box, took the throttle loose and disconnected the cable. I was all set to remove the carbs and get busy when I find this third cable which dives into the engine case. It has a weird 3-way connection at the throttle cables. I assume it's some sort of advance. So I pulled the brake and kickstart levers and removed the sidecase. Still can't get to the end of that cable. The good news is that all the stuff inside the engine shows little wear, the shafts don't wobble and the gears look almost new.

I ordered the manual weeks ago...still not here. Somebody needs to scan a factory manual into .pdf and post it. Not for me, for the kids, do it for the children.
Go on eBay. You can find .pdf ones for $10. That's how I got my RD400 manual and realized there was no way I was ever gonna try to work on that bike!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default An R5 doesn't have CV carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
If the slide-diaphragms are intact and non-holey, do not - I repeat DO NOT hit/soak/look at them with carb cleaner in any form - it causes the rubber to swell and stretch, and will shorten the life of them to minutes in your hand at the worst, or make it a cuss-fest when trying to reseat them in the carb at the best.
An R5 has standard carbs, no "rubber diaphragms". You can soak the Mikunis in parts dip for decades, thay'd just sit there and go ..."duh..."
Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
An R5 has standard carbs, no "rubber diaphragms". You can soak the Mikunis in parts dip for decades, thay'd just sit there and go ..."duh..."
Well, as I've never worked on an RC5............

I figured it used CV's like about 50-million OTHER bikes out there do.......
Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Well, as I've never worked on an RC5............

I figured it used CV's like about 50-million OTHER bikes out there do.......
Klazy Ken want AirHawk be Ninja. This why he must be harsh. You stay now. You not stupid.