Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
informer911
Registered Member

Default CBR600RR steering heavy

Hi all,

I tried to find a similar post but I couldn't seem to find one that pertains to the particular issue I'm having.

I just bought a CBR600RR used and it hasn't been ridden in a while. The steering is really heavy to turn, and it makes squeaks. Does it just need a bit of fork oil (? is that right? Is there a special kind? Sorry, I'm new-ish to bikes). Should I just not bother and bring it into a service station to have a professional look at it?

Thanks for your help.
informer911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

This has to be a joke.

Dude, the best way to fix it is to put on your helmet. tank top and flip flops, find a nice stretch of road and pin the throttle. See what she'll do. It just needs to be blown out a little.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

No, fork oil goes inside the big shiny tubes that lead from the handlebar down to the front wheel. It has nothing to do with steering effort, only with how the front end reacts to bumps in the road.

There's a few things that come to mind:

#1 The front tire is really low on air. Bikes are far more sensitive to tire pressure than cars. Check the frame sticker for info on the correct amount. If that's good, then proceed to #2.

#2 The forks are mounted to two big clamps that you'll see below the handlebar. Those clamps are mounted to a bar that goes through the big tube at the front and center of the frame. That's called the "neck." When the bars turn, they are turning on bearings inside the neck. Usually the bearings and their lubricant are good for decades without needing service. Maybe the lube has dried up and the bearings are sticky, but I'd be surprised. If they need lube, the front end must be disassembled by a pro.

#3 Some bikes have a "steering damper." Without going into the details, the job of the steering damper is actually to make it harder to turn the bars (in an uncontrolled fashion). It may be that the damper is extremely out of adjustment and needs to be set by someone who knows what they're doing.

#4 Many sportbike riders wheelie the crap out of their bikes. When the front wheel comes back down, the impact can do anything from bending the front axle to warping the fork tubes. The neck bearings can be ruined by repeated hard landings after wheelies.

Whatever it is, I don't have the impression you're going to fix it. Because steering is such a big deal on motorcycles, I suggest a visit to your local mechanic. Plan on leaving the bike off for a while.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
newagetwotone
Registered Member

the #1 solution is to return it to the dealer or if you bought it from an individual then trade it in at a dealer and buy a bike thats appropriate for someone whos "New-ish" the bike you have is NOT one and who ever told you it was should be arrested.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Squeek? Could be steering head bearings. If so it is extremely dangerous to ride. Jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground. The fork should turn easily from side to side then. There should be no gritty feel or noises form the steering head.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

No, fork oil goes inside the big shiny tubes that lead from the handlebar down to the front wheel.

Classic!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
No, fork oil goes inside the big shiny tubes that lead from the handlebar down to the front wheel.

Classic!
My money is on air pressure being low.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
My money is on air pressure being low.

And mice living in the air intake. They squeak when you scare them by turning the front.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Termite infestation!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
T_Bois
Registered Member

Unless you are ready to take the front end apart (which isn't all that hard, but you may need to buy some tools and a manual) and inspect everything (a manual will tell you all you need to do), take it to a dealer. You could buy the manual first and see if this is the route you want to go.

The last thing you want to experience is a high speed wobble occuring at 100 + mph (Remember the last time a bug hit your windshield).
T_Bois is offline   Reply With Quote