Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
raptorms
Registered Member

well i havent personally dven it because this bike is 40 miles from my house and if its not worth it why would i drive 80 mile right? and i did read all your replys but the guy doesnt sound like a crook. well i told him i was adviced it wouldnt be a good idea to buy it because it could have more damage than visible. and this is the reply i got

I can't guarantee that it is the only thing wrong. Ask if it drove fine in all other gears what they would think. I asked the guys over at dgy and that is what they told me. He said 9 out of 10 chance that it is just the shift fork. But, I am not sure myself, I didn't get into tearing it down. Let me know. I would probably take 1,000 bucks for it considering it needs all this work. I thought it would be a good investment, or I wouldn't have bought it.Bob

(This was my first question to him)
i was just wondering do you know whats wrong with transmission?

(His first reply)
I have been tlod it probably needs a shift fork at about 100 bucks. I figured all said and done, it would be about 300 in total parts. I do all my own work, and I have another katana that I already rebuilt, but as I said, I bought this for my now ex girl. She left me last week, so it needs to go! Thanks, Bob

So is there anyway to know the extent of the damage this oes look like a nice bike from the pics
Thanks any input is appreciated
raptorms is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Unless you want your first foray into motorcycling to be a KY moment then run away from this bike, it's a 18 year old Japanese bike with a broken transmission. . I don't care what the seller is trying to tell you it's going to cost someone a great deal of money to repair this bike, you can't even change the sparkplugs for $100.00 There are literally thousands of used bikes newer and in better shape than this. If 3 pages of "don't do it" aren't enough to convince you then pm me for my address and send me the $1k, if you just want to get screwed you may as well let me do it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-24-2009 at 10:41 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorms View Post
well i havent personally dven it because this bike is 40 miles from my house and if its not worth it why would i drive 80 mile right? and i did read all your replys but the guy doesnt sound like a crook. well i told him i was adviced it wouldnt be a good idea to buy it because it could have more damage than visible. and this is the reply i got

I can't guarantee that it is the only thing wrong. Ask if it drove fine in all other gears what they would think. I asked the guys over at dgy and that is what they told me. He said 9 out of 10 chance that it is just the shift fork. But, I am not sure myself, I didn't get into tearing it down. Let me know. I would probably take 1,000 bucks for it considering it needs all this work. I thought it would be a good investment, or I wouldn't have bought it.Bob

(This was my first question to him)
i was just wondering do you know whats wrong with transmission?

(His first reply)
I have been tlod it probably needs a shift fork at about 100 bucks. I figured all said and done, it would be about 300 in total parts. I do all my own work, and I have another katana that I already rebuilt, but as I said, I bought this for my now ex girl. She left me last week, so it needs to go! Thanks, Bob

So is there anyway to know the extent of the damage this oes look like a nice bike from the pics
Thanks any input is appreciated
I have done this sort of work and it's more than the fork. Something has to be pushing the fork laterally with great pressure. If you just replace the fork then it will happen again and again. It's at least the dogs on the 2nd gear and maybe the adjacent gear and the pressure may have scored more gears on the cluster. A "2nd gear" fix on my Magna ended up requiring 3 gears and 2 forks and the main bearing. A 5th gear "fix" I did on a Yammer R5 required 4th and 5th gear and a fork. These jobs always end up being worse than they seem at first.

This bike might be worth a couple hundred as a parts bike. But of course it's your decision. Good luck.

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-25-2009 at 06:39 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I know where you can get a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for cheep...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"These jobs always end up being worse than they seem at first. "

Pretty much true of anything where the entire engine needs to be torn down. I fixed the shift fork on my Shovel in about 3 hours total. One of the advantages of 1930's technology!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
raptorms
Registered Member

Well ok thanks ill be looking for another bike then
I guess i was just trying to convince myself it wasnt that bad of a bike but i already knew thanks for all your help
raptorms is offline   Reply With Quote