Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
jakescheel
Registered Member

Default Just got a 1980 gs550e makes a funny sound when i turn the light on

This bike starts good and the light works and dosn't make and funny noise but as soon as you rev it up and let it idle again a sound like a rattle stats in the left side. This only happens when the light is turned on though as soon as you turn the light off it will stop so i think its the alternator

does any one have any ideas?
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Now that has to be the craziest thing I've ever heard of in 40 years of messing around with motors. It's the 4 cylinder, right, not the twin? If it's a dry case I'd take off the cover and have a good look at the left side of the motor when you turn on the lights. Maybe something is loose, like a stator or something else in the alterrnator causing the rattle.

That or the crankshaft is shot, and the main bearing on the left side is so sloppy that a slight drag from the alternator when the lights are on send it into fits.

Get a manual.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"...make and funny noise..."

Funny how? Like it amuses you like a clown? How is that sound funny?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
jakescheel
Registered Member

its like a rattle i tested it like it and the book says i need to replase the regulator rectifier
does any one know what it takes to fix that
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescheel View Post
its like a rattle i tested it like it and the book says i need to replase the regulator rectifier
does any one know what it takes to fix that
Not a clue. A shop manual should have all the procedures. Maybe you can find a used one in a junkyard.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
jdvorchak
Registered Member

Regulator/rectifier not a cheap item to be guessing with. For my old suzuki parts I use Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com as they are good price, great service and ship fast. I don't know why the book would say the regulator is is bad if it's making a rattling noise. The regulator is probably mounted under the frame below the battery. I'd check the 3 white w/red stripe wires coming from the stator to the regulator with bullet connectors, maybe a white plug with a red wire also in there. They get dirty and can cause you to burn the stator which will eventually take out the regulator. Probably about $200 for an aftermarket stator and regulator. I'd check the bullet connectors or maybe even a white plastic plug and make sure they are not dark and discolored meaning the connections are dirty and they will lead to a stator failure. If they are black or look burnt, consider soldering the connections and bypassing the plug(s). Easy enough to check the charging system. Put a voltmeter on the battery and see that you are getting about 14.2 volts when it's running, light on and about 3000 rpm.

As for the rattling sound. Pull the cover, there will be some oil in there, and make sure everything is tight. Stator and rotor. Good idea to also replace the gasket as once you pull the cover it will leak.

There is also a really good site for Suzuki's called gsresource.com or gsresources.com that explain how to fully check the charging system, stator and regulator.

Good luck!