Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Dear Suzuki Owner

So, Suzuiki finally figured out how fortunate they are to have me as a customer, and have offered to sell me an Extended Service Plan. I've never purchased one of these for anything, and my instinct says don't bother with this one either. Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them? My warranty is up in a few months...

While we're on my favorite subject: my motorcycle (it's an '07 VStrom 1000 btw), here's another question for the audience: Would you take your bike in for warranty service for a minor (a few drops on the floor after a ride) oil leak? I read a thread on Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin about a guy who had a miserable time at a dealer after having them crack his cases for the same type of leak. Frankly, I think I overtightened the chain slightly (and quickly fixed it) and put excess load on the bearing and seal on the forward sprocket. Hell, the FXS leaked like a sieve for years... I'm just wondering if having some tech from UTC tear my engine apart is really what I want to do. Ok, I don't want to do it, and I'm insecure enough to seek confirmation from my friends.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, Suzuiki finally figured out how fortunate they are to have me as a customer, and have offered to sell me an Extended Service Plan. I've never purchased one of these for anything, and my instinct says don't bother with this one either. Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them? My warranty is up in a few months...

While we're on my favorite subject: my motorcycle (it's an '07 VStrom 1000 btw), here's another question for the audience: Would you take your bike in for warranty service for a minor (a few drops on the floor after a ride) oil leak? I read a thread on Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin about a guy who had a miserable time at a dealer after having them crack his cases for the same type of leak. Frankly, I think I overtightened the chain slightly (and quickly fixed it) and put excess load on the bearing and seal on the forward sprocket. Hell, the FXS leaked like a sieve for years... I'm just wondering if having some tech from UTC tear my engine apart is really what I want to do. Ok, I don't want to do it, and I'm insecure enough to seek confirmation from my friends.
For something like that I would take it to someone I trust before handing it to the dealership monkeys. The trusted expert may look at it and say "don't bother, it's fine" as oppose to a dealership who may do unnecessary work and eff it up. Because, isn't all warranty work by the dealer reimbursed by the parent company?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them?"

Don't do it. When push comes to shove they don't cover crap. Your bike isn't going to break unless you beat the crap out of it.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them?"

Don't do it. When push comes to shove they don't cover crap. Your bike isn't going to break unless you beat the crap out of it.

You *are* talking about Klazy Ken. I'm sure the Strom cries everytime he looks at it.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
GARAGE KEPT!
ADULT RIDDEN!!
NEVER DOWN!!!
NEVER WHEELIED!!!!
ONLY RACED ON SUNDAYS!!!!!

And, it's dripping with chrome and has too many options to list here.

There is only a 10,000 character limit to MOron posts....
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
You *are* talking about Klazy Ken. I'm sure the Strom cries everytime he looks at it.
GARAGE KEPT!
ADULT RIDDEN!!
NEVER DOWN!!!
NEVER WHEELIED!!!!
ONLY RACED ON SUNDAYS!!!!!

It's dripping with chrome and too many options to list here.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 02-03-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Most extended plans dont cover a thing, but they take your money quite nicely. Read the fine print and compare how well that money would sit in your account to go towards fixing the bike if it were to break vs. betting on it breaking by buying the warranty. As for the leak, grab a rag, wipe it clean. If it continues I'd have it checked out before that factory warranty expires. Google the stealerships within range. If service is bad, you'll know in a couple postings. My burb dealer kicks azz, but Golden Gate Cycles in SF, cant say the same. I googled after they had my bike for a month, first / last time I do that. 400 complaints popped up within a second. After a month they didnt do a thing and returned the bike "fixed" still knocking like a jackhammer. 4 days in my local shop and she actually was fixed.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wouldn't worry about an extended warranty on a Suzuki. It probably will never break and if it does it will be worth less than the cost of the warranty!

However, those extended warranties are negotiable. The dealers buy them at wholesale and sell them at retail. I got a bargain basement price on one when I bought my Ducati ST4 used and it saved my bacon a couple of times.

I discussed this with a buddy of mine who rides a BMW. I said you could keep the money in the bank and use that to pay for any repair. On the other hand, he decided to buy the warranty and ride the pi$$ out of the bike having peace of mind.

These warranty companies know that most people buy a bike and put 2500 miles on it in 5 years.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Check and make sure it isn't chain fling. It's a common issue with Bandits. After awhile chain lube builds up around the inside of the cover, it gets hot and drips out. Looks just like an oil leak, the owner freaks, the dealer cleans it out , maaaaaybe replaces a seal for GP's and problem solved....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Check and make sure it isn't chain fling. It's a common issue with Bandits. After awhile chain lube builds up around the inside of the cover, it gets hot and drips out. Looks just like an oil leak, the owner freaks, the dealer cleans it out , maaaaaybe replaces a seal for GP's and problem solved....

And you just KNOW that Southern Florida dude is using lots and lots of that greasy chain lube...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote