Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Consumer reports had a fairly extensive write-up on extended plans for cars and determined that they are a total waste of money. I imagine that as bikes go the insurer would probably never pay... just claim everything is owner error. Heck, the manufacturers do that already, especially BMW.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Consumer reports had a fairly extensive write-up on extended plans for cars and determined that they are a total waste of money.
I remember that article. The nuts and bolts were that extended warranties are NOT worth the money (on all products).

On my Honda Accord, we bought the extended warranty and needed it for an oil leak. Turn out it was a bad cam shaft seal. It wasn't fixed correctly the first time, had to take it back several times - each time covered under warranty. That saved us some $$.

Having said that, we didn't buy the extended warranty on our new Honda, largely because of the C.R. article.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Check and make sure it isn't chain fling. It's a common issue with Bandits. After awhile chain lube builds up around the inside of the cover, it gets hot and drips out. Looks just like an oil leak, the owner freaks, the dealer cleans it out , maaaaaybe replaces a seal for GP's and problem solved....
GOOD ONE! "It's just chain fling dude. Sorry about your driveway."
Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Most extended plans dont cover a thing, but they take your money quite nicely. Read the fine print and compare how well that money would sit in your account to go towards fixing the bike if it were to break vs. betting on it breaking by buying the warranty. As for the leak, grab a rag, wipe it clean. If it continues I'd have it checked out before that factory warranty expires. Google the stealerships within range. If service is bad, you'll know in a couple postings. My burb dealer kicks azz, but Golden Gate Cycles in SF, cant say the same. I googled after they had my bike for a month, first / last time I do that. 400 complaints popped up within a second. After a month they didnt do a thing and returned the bike "fixed" still knocking like a jackhammer. 4 days in my local shop and she actually was fixed.
Excellent post, thanks. Except for the part about: "money would sit in an account." What is this bizzare concept? You frighten and confuse me.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
And you just KNOW that Southern Florida dude is using lots and lots of that greasy chain lube...
"Here, let's compare combs!"
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them?"

Don't do it. When push comes to shove they don't cover crap. Your bike isn't going to break unless you beat the crap out of it.

Very good point, just what I was thinking, as far as beating the crap out of it. I have alot of experience in this Dealership environment and its not a subject thats confuzing at all. Here it goes,...

1.The Manufactures Warrenty does not cover parts that normally wear.
2.The Manufactures Warranty only covers damage that occures due to that Manufacture.

So in essence, if you take care of it properly and don't beat it to death, complete the maintenance on time, the only thing you'll have to worry about is if the Factory did something wrong? Which in most cases not.

Bearing in mind I have taken three bikes that I'v personally owned to the track with zero miles, and exceeded the Manufactures limits pertaining to proper break in procedure. Not one problem with any of them.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-03-2009 at 07:18 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, Suzuiki finally figured out how fortunate they are to have me as a customer, and have offered to sell me an Extended Service Plan. I've never purchased one of these for anything, and my instinct says don't bother with this one either. Does anyone buy these plans or recommend them? My warranty is up in a few months...

While we're on my favorite subject: my motorcycle (it's an '07 VStrom 1000 btw), here's another question for the audience: Would you take your bike in for warranty service for a minor (a few drops on the floor after a ride) oil leak? I read a thread on Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin about a guy who had a miserable time at a dealer after having them crack his cases for the same type of leak. Frankly, I think I overtightened the chain slightly (and quickly fixed it) and put excess load on the bearing and seal on the forward sprocket. Hell, the FXS leaked like a sieve for years... I'm just wondering if having some tech from UTC tear my engine apart is really what I want to do. Ok, I don't want to do it, and I'm insecure enough to seek confirmation from my friends.

Ok, although there are alot of bad technicians gainfully employed in todays Dealerships, theres also alot of good ones that have been doing this for 40yrs plus. Realize to that most shops only have one or two guys doing the important engine rebuilds. The shop I'am in now there two. The service Manager, and the lead tech. Between them both they have about 80yrs of experience rebuilding motors on all brands.

Albiet you have to find out who knows their shyt, and beable to sift through all the bad ones to get to the knowlegable and experienced ones.

Listen you still have warrany left so find a dealership and think positive its not that bad as long as you can find a competant staff. And if you can't bring that sucka over my way and I'll take care of ya.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Is it just chain lube? I figured you would have eliminated that possibility first?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

If it's the seal behind the countershaft sprocket the case usually doesn't have to come off. There is a tool that will pull the old seal out and then you press a new seal in. If it's a leaky seal it shouldn't be that complex of a job.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If it's the seal behind the countershaft sprocket the case usually doesn't have to come off. There is a tool that will pull the old seal out and then you press a new seal in. If it's a leaky seal it shouldn't be that complex of a job.
Some you are able to do this with, but its going to depend on if the seal has a lip on it which would tear when you try installing it. I'll check today in the manual.