Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
kucloma
Registered Member

Question start up problem ... after riding

Hi all, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kawasaki Ninja, 2001, 750cc. About 17000 miles (11000 of 'em are mine in the last 2 years.)

Problem: recently after riding around (errands, etc) the bike warms up and is running fine. However, after longer trips ( like 20-30 mins) if I stop the bike, to fuel up or whatever and try to restart it, I can't.

Trend: after the bike cools down, say half hour or so, then I am able to start it back up.

Solution: Heck, no idea! After looking in the bike manual and browsing the forums, it seems like just about anything can be wrong. Perhaps the carbs, or plubs, lines, etc. To narrow down even though it's not an indicator that it's fine, I have replaced/checked the following in the last year. Spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter. No other problems that I've detected. I change the oil and oil filter somewhat regularly . I lube the chain somewhat regularly
Try to stay on top of the tire pressure, don't red-line the engine. I haven't really done a complete tune up, maybe somewhere during a tuneup the problem can be found. But i don't really have money for a tune up so I want to see first if I can find out what the problem really is.

Please educated guesses only. Smarty pants comments are not helpful.
kucloma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucloma View Post
Problem: recently after riding around (errands, etc) the bike warms up and is running fine. However, after longer trips ( like 20-30 mins) if I stop the bike, to fuel up or whatever and try to restart it, I can't.

Trend: after the bike cools down, say half hour or so, then I am able to start it back up.
As you describe it, that is exactly what happened to my old bike. For my bike, it turned out to be the starter. I had it bench-checked and the brushes were bad. I had the starter rebuilt and no more problems. ( I still don't understand why the starter wouldn't work when the engine was warm or hot, because of bad brushes.)

I would suggest taking the starter off and having it bench-checked at a starter/alternator repair shop. Just my two cents.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Does it crank and just won't "catch", or as Doc Sproc sez - won't even turn over?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

My dad had the exact same problem with a '65 Porsche 356 - turned out to be the...oh damn. I forgot. Sorry, not much help there. Did get it fixed though, so I guess that's reassuring.

Pretty sure it was a carb issue though.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Worn float needles that cause flooding when you first stop? Then after some of the fuel evaporates after sitting, it then starts. Just a guess.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

How can we assist you if you don't want smartassed replies? Jesus...some people have a nerve.

Go buy a compression tester and check it when it won't start. If it's good, you found out you don't need to tear the engine down. If it isn't, we'll be here for you when you dismantle the bike.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I was thinking that too, but both coils going bad?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Another thing I've heard of is bad coils. Once they get hot, they lose their efficiency.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
kucloma
Registered Member

thank you for the suggestions. i'm not sure about the turning crank thing didnt pay attention. press the button and it makes some noise, i suppose it is the turning over...

i'll call some people up see what they thing about the problem and some of these suggestions.

ANYone else with anything else on their mind... i suppose we can open it up to a broader smarty pants comments now lol
kucloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucloma View Post
press the button and it makes some noise, i suppose it is the turning over...
If the motor won't make noise when you push the button, it's prolly broke. Take it to one of them smart guys with the fancy pair of pliers and give them some money. They can prolly get it to make noise again.