Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucloma View Post
SOLUTION: The battery died. Now I replaced it with a new one. Everything seems to work fine. I guess that's what it was.
Do us a favor. Ride it for two months and give us a report, once the weather warms up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
T_Bois
Registered Member

If the motor spins, but never fires:

If it runs / idles fine, it never misfires, coughs, or complains when you're riding or sitting idling, I suspect the motor is flooded.

When was the last time the air filter was replaced or cleaned (do air cleaner first)? When the problem occurs, you can pull the spark plugs, spin the motor over a few times, reinstall the plugs (put in new plugs if they are black and soot covered) then try starting it again.

NO TOOLS!

I would turn your fuel off (if the gas tank has a pet****) and let it run a bit before you shut the motor down (if you have the time, just turn the fuel off and let the motor run until it dieds on it own). Then turn the fuel back on and try starting. This requires NO TOOLS!
T_Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #23
kucloma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
No No, your bike won't start! It's all a figment of your imagination! You haven't been reading Motorcyclist, have you?

Try checking the bendix reverse-spring. If it's below 18 lbs. of tension, that means the sprags inside the starter have ruined the selector drum/trundle release assy.

Phew, glad we caught that before someone got hurt!
Have no clue what that means but I'll look into that.

Also I've noticed that no one suggested that it could be a bad alternator which caused the battery to start dying in the first place... maybe?
I need to look into that as well.

Seriously what's up with such a complicated machine. I thought the whole idea was for a bicycle to go faster ... bicycle with an alternator and and all that other stuff! Psh.

BTW I don't know if I didn't notice this before but my moto is sounding rather agricultural if you know what I mean? Could that be a hint of the alternator problem?
kucloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
BTW I don't know if I didn't notice this before but my moto is sounding rather agricultural if you know what I mean? Could that be a hint of the alternator problem?
Could be a hint of a holed piston, dropped valve, blown headgasket, flat exhaust cam-lobe(s), bad igniter or ignition coil(s), or simply an intake or exhaust leak.

Describe further, please.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #25
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Could be a hint of a holed piston, dropped valve, blown headgasket, flat exhaust cam-lobe(s), bad igniter or ignition coil(s), or simply an intake or exhaust leak.

Describe further, please.
I agree with AirHawk. You'd do well to take it to a dealer for diagnosis. When my auto started sounding "agricultural", it turned out to be a thrown piston. Ahhh, yes! Brings back memories...

I'd be willing to bet it's NOT your alternator. As you described the original problem, it would start back up after cooling off. If it were the alternator (?stator), it would be able to start after cooling off because whether hot or cold, it wouldn't have the juice. See?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Hi all, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kawasaki Ninja, 2001, 750cc. About 17000 miles (11000 of 'em are mine in the last 2 years.)

Problem: recently after riding around (errands, etc) the bike warms up and is running fine. However, after longer trips ( like 20-30 mins) if I stop the bike, to fuel up or whatever and try to restart it, I can't.

Trend: after the bike cools down, say half hour or so, then I am able to start it back up.

Solution: Heck, no idea! After looking in the bike manual and browsing the forums, it seems like just about anything can be wrong. Perhaps the carbs, or plubs, lines, etc. To narrow down even though it's not an indicator that it's fine, I have replaced/checked the following in the last year. Spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter. No other problems that I've detected. I change the oil and oil filter somewhat regularly . I lube the chain somewhat regularly
Try to stay on top of the tire pressure, don't red-line the engine. I haven't really done a complete tune up, maybe somewhere during a tuneup the problem can be found. But i don't really have money for a tune up so I want to see first if I can find out what the problem really is.

Please educated guesses only. Smarty pants comments are not helpful.
Take it to a professional and pay him one hour to diagnose the problem.

No matter what the problem is those vavles are probably very tight.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
kucloma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I'd be willing to bet it's NOT your alternator. As you described the original problem, it would start back up after cooling off. If it were the alternator (?stator), it would be able to start after cooling off because whether hot or cold, it wouldn't have the juice. See?
The agricultural sounds are independent of that starting up problem...

So far still running...
kucloma is offline   Reply With Quote