Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucloma View Post
thank you for the suggestions. i'm not sure about the turning crank thing didnt pay attention. press the button and it makes some noise, i suppose it is the turning over...
Is it a clattering or whirring noise instead of the usual "try to start" noises? If so, the starter may not be fully engaging with the flywheel. That often indicates a lousy battery.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

flip it to on, push it to about 7mph, jump on and dump the clutch in second. If it fires right up you have a bad starter. Good time to make sure your battery is good to go too. Pop the caps and make sure the water is up to the level. If you fill remember distilled only and only to where the plastic wings stop inside the battery, not to the top.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
flip it to on, push it to about 7mph, jump on and dump the clutch in second. If it fires right up you have a bad starter. Good time to make sure your battery is good to go too. Pop the caps and make sure the water is up to the level. If you fill remember distilled only and only to where the plastic wings stop inside the battery, not to the top.
Excellent advice! I forgot the push-start to rule in/out the starter as the cause of the problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
kucloma
Registered Member

Default Solution found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If the motor won't make noise when you push the button, it's prolly broke. Take it to one of them smart guys with the fancy pair of pliers and give them some money. They can prolly get it to make noise again.
LOL

--------------------------------

Well I took it to a mechanic today.... strange but no one suggested something basic like...hmm.... try checking contacts on the battery....

They were loose, so it seems to have solved the problem. If it hasn't i'll be back here to post some updates.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
kucloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
kucloma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Is it a clattering or whirring noise instead of the usual "try to start" noises? If so, the starter may not be fully engaging with the flywheel. That often indicates a lousy battery.
it was making the usual start noise without the actual firing up of the engine.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucloma View Post
LOL

--------------------------------

Well I took it to a mechanic today.... strange but no one suggested something basic like...hmm.... try checking contacts on the battery....

They were loose, so it seems to have solved the problem. If it hasn't i'll be back here to post some updates.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I can tell you that the battery contacts are NOT the problem. If that were the case, then it would be difficult to start the bike all the time or intermittently, as in consistently intermittent. The fact that this doesn't happen when the bike is cold suggests that is isn't the contacts. I could be wrong, but...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Release the gas cap and try to start it. Every once in a blue moon my K100 will not fire. If I release the cap the vapor depressurizes and suddenly the fuel injection primes. Maybe it's just time for a carb-rebuild on the thing.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
kucloma
Registered Member

i hope that was the problem, otherwise it's pretty sad, maybe it is the carbs or something else, i'll just hope for the best.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #19
kucloma
Registered Member

SOLUTION: The battery died. Now I replaced it with a new one. Everything seems to work fine. I guess that's what it was.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

No No, your bike won't start! It's all a figment of your imagination! You haven't been reading Motorcyclist, have you?

Try checking the bendix reverse-spring. If it's below 18 lbs. of tension, that means the sprags inside the starter have ruined the selector drum/trundle release assy.

Phew, glad we caught that before someone got hurt!