Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Ether is evil

I've used it to seat tires. I've got a lawn mower that gets a shot cause I'm too lazy, er busy, to change the fouled plug. It requires judicous use. Mixed with glow plugs can create some interesting results. Saw a brand new Series 60 Detroit have it rings trashed, over speed and lose little pieces that were later found in the pan, no it wasn't me, this thing started great yesterday wtf happened?

The use of ether, other than in timed systems, means you need to get something fixed ASAP! But you knew that already. Ah a flood of memories.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
What is this "cold" you speak about?
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
It requires judicous use. Mixed with glow plugs can create some interesting results. Saw a brand new Series 60 Detroit have it rings trashed, over speed and lose little pieces that were later found in the pan, no it wasn't me, this thing started great yesterday wtf happened?

The use of ether, other than in timed systems, means you need to get something fixed ASAP! But you knew that already. Ah a flood of memories.
I knew a guy who could only start his old sailboat diesel by spraying WD-40 into the intake. I kid you not, I'd hold the starter button down, he'd empty 1/2 a can of WD into it to get it going. It worked great, and once it was warm, no problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thanks. Will do.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Buell's have tricky TPS (throttle position sensors) and cold start gizmos in the ECM (engine control module). Take it back to the shop and have them check the TPS settings, along with the cold start mapping. My XB9SX had just the opposite, way too rich that fouled plugs and eventually ruined the top ends.
I remember reading in the manual that my Buell ('08 model year) does not need TPS resets. Something about the computer controlling the TPS and resetting every trip, or something. This was supposed to be one of the upgrades for to '08s. I wonder if this is why the '08s get notoriously less fuel economy than the previous '06 or '07 model years.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take it in and have it check out, like LR suggested.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I knew a guy who could only start his old sailboat diesel by spraying WD-40 into the intake. I kid you not, I'd hold the starter button down, he'd empty 1/2 a can of WD into it to get it going. It worked great, and once it was warm, no problem.
Roger the WD-40!

Years ago, a GM mechanic, told me that WD-40 was the 'starting fluid' of choice for the 6.2L, underpowered, noisy, unreliable POS I had in my Jimmy. Actually, the engine was a paragon of reliability compared to the Turbo 700R4 transmission. I used the WD-40 regularly to start the engine after changing fuel filters.

People regularly underestimate how 'useful' WD-40 can be. For instance, when combined with a cigarette lighter, a can of WD-40 (with accessory straw inserted) is a fine wasp/hornet nest eradicator!

Although lack of prudence may result in the loss of the structure tha nest was attached to...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote