Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Nefilim
Registered Member

Default Need help installing light bar

I am installing a light bar and the directions say the following:

"Plug the green and orange leads with bullet connectors from the switch to the bike's accessory terminal, fuse block, or other source."

What is the accessory terminal/fuse block?

I can connect the orange wire has a ring connector, so I can attach it to the battery... but the negative/ground wire will not. I'm not familiar with electrical layouts at all, so I don't know what to do here.
Nefilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Ground wire can go to the nearest bolt in electrical-contact with the frame/engine.

You should have some means of cutting power to the other wire (i.e. a switch - or switched hot wire), and MOST DEFINITELY if there wasn't an in-line fuse installed on the wire from the factory, - install a holder and fuse in-line to protect you and your bike BEFORE completing the connection.

Depending on what this lightbar draws current-wise, the fuse should probably be between 5 and 10 amp rated.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
Nefilim
Registered Member

The light bar is already connected to the battery and it has an inline fuse already attached. My problem is the SWITCH requires to be connected to something.

The positive has a spade connector, so I'm not exactly sure what I plug it into.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, let's be clear here. The way to install a light bar is simple. You run the hot wire from the battery through a fuse, then through a relay, to the lights, and connect the switch to the other terminals on the relay. The ground wire is run straight to ground (the negative terminal on the battery.) Do you have a relay with your light bar? If not, say so and I'll give you resources.

The "accessory terminal, fuse block, or other source" refers to an accessory terminal or fuse block that YOU supply. Most bikes don't have such things stock. (In fact I can't think of any that do.) So, you have some choices. You can (most simply) use an in-line blade fuse holder and wire it in place in the positive wire, between the battery and the relay. Or if you want to add other electrical gadgets, you can buy a fuse block from Centech or Blue Sea. These fuse blocks wire directly to the battery, and will power several different items. the fuses are all in one place, obviously.

From what you say, I suspect you do not have a relay. that's what you should have to set up the switch. Am I right?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Nefilim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Ok, let's be clear here. The way to install a light bar is simple. You run the hot wire from the battery through a fuse, then through a relay, to the lights, and connect the switch to the other terminals on the relay. The ground wire is run straight to ground (the negative terminal on the battery.) Do you have a relay with your light bar? If not, say so and I'll give you resources.

The "accessory terminal, fuse block, or other source" refers to an accessory terminal or fuse block that YOU supply. Most bikes don't have such things stock. (In fact I can't think of any that do.) So, you have some choices. You can (most simply) use an in-line blade fuse holder and wire it in place in the positive wire, between the battery and the relay. Or if you want to add other electrical gadgets, you can buy a fuse block from Centech or Blue Sea. These fuse blocks wire directly to the battery, and will power several different items. the fuses are all in one place, obviously.

From what you say, I suspect you do not have a relay. that's what you should have to set up the switch. Am I right?
No, a relay is included. Here's the setup:

The lamps connect to the relay, which then splits off to connect to the battery and also to an on/off switch. The switch then splits off to an accessory power/negative ground.

The battery connections were straight-forward ring connectors that I just attached to the battery terminals.

The connectors to the on/off switch are a (negative) ring and a (positive) male spade blade. I know I can just attach the negative to a screw, but I have no idea what the positive blade is supposed to plug into.

I checked google for those in-line blade fuse holders that you mentioned and the pictures I see all show male spades, so I don't think they would connect.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Nefilim
Registered Member

Here's the installation guide:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/in.../BBP-1-232.pdf

I just plugged the male spade into a nondescript little red plastic thing that clamps closed and has a metal piece in the center... I don't have a camera to take a picture of it and I have absolutely no idea what it is, but it seems to fit perfectly and yet I have no idea what it goes to.

It slides into the back and when you close the vice, it snaps into place and has a very narrow slit in the opening at the tip. I doubt that's helpful but maybe someone knows.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, the wiring diagram is not adequate because there is no fuse. You MUST install a fuse somewhere in that hot line from the battery to the relay. You best be served to cut the wire to install a fuseholder. Solder it in place using wire crimps, and cover the connections with shrinkwrap tubing. You can find adequate connectors and shrinkwrap at Radio Shack and excellent connectors and shrinkwrap at Eastern Beaver (online.)

The relay you show operates a bit differently from the ones I've used, so I'm glad you have the diagram for us. You need to find a hot wire such as that used for your tail light, and use that red plastic thingy to clamp over that hot wire. That metal part inside the clamp has a small slit in it, right? When the clamp is closed, that slit cuts through the outer coating of a wire and makes contact with the wire. It's a really lousy way of connecting the wires, so once again you would be better off using a soldering iron, proper connectors, and shrinkwrap to connect that "accessory power" wire to the power.

I hope this helps!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Nefilim
Registered Member

There is a fuse holder already in place on the positive lead to the battery, it looks like this:

China Fuse Holder. Yuyao Manufacturer, Exporter

I thought this thing was a wire cutter of some sort. I thought it was just a cheap wire-cutting tool in case you didn't have a crimper they included.

Anyway, is there something that I could get from RadioShack to connect to a hot wire instead of using this clamp? I need to finish up this project today since we have heavy rains scheduled for the next week and I need to ride home. If time is not so permissive, I might just have to use the clamp method - is there any particular wire I should use?

To be honest, I don't even WANT the switch. I want my headlights to be on at all times. Is there a way to bypass the switch entirely?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefilim View Post
To be honest, I don't even WANT the switch. I want my headlights to be on at all times. Is there a way to bypass the switch entirely?
Yes, you can connect the blue wire to the relay terminal to some switched power-source. Depending on what your bike is, you may even be-able to connect it to the Lo-beam relay. That way, it won't come on right-away when you first turn on the ignition, but rather will only power the relay to light these aux lamps once the engine is running.

You'll have to look at a wiring diagram for your particular bike to determine where to connect.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Nefilim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Yes, you can connect the blue wire to the relay terminal to some switched power-source. Depending on what your bike is, you may even be-able to connect it to the Lo-beam relay. That way, it won't come on right-away when you first turn on the ignition, but rather will only power the relay to light these aux lamps once the engine is running.

You'll have to look at a wiring diagram for your particular bike to determine where to connect.
Does that mean it'll run with both Hi/Low Beams or just low beams only? I ride around in the day with hi beams on and wanted them to show then as well.