Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yooz guys is so full of it! Sportbikes are the safest bikes on the road. When will yooz admit that yooz are wrong and I'm right and I'm the smartest MF'er ever to come down the pike?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #32
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Saying that 10% of sportbike owners spend time on the track is a big overestimate. When you consider the numbers of these bikes sold and the availability of trackdays it's probably more like 0.1%. Maybe a hundred people show up on the weekend. There are what, a couple dozen tracks in the USA? Do the math.

The vast majority of motorcycle riders are incompetent Sunday dilettantes, regardless of the style of bike they own. I know this because when I surf the used bike ads 90% of the bikes are very low miles and I used to have a hobby of checking the odometers of bikes I see parked around town. 2-3K per year seems to be average. Pathetic.

If I were to pick the style of bike that tended to have the most competent riders, based on 40 years of observation, I'd give it to the naked standard owners. And if I had to pick the specific brand it would probably be BMW. The accident rates prove that sportbike riders are the least competent with the middle-aged cruiser guys running a close second.
I ride a sport bike, albeit equipped with hard bags, and I concur. I make a differentiation between a sport and a supersport. Now if only there were hard bags for a Monster

On serious note however my track options require either crossing an international border or, and even further, state border to participate in a track day. My Lee Parks class was even cancelled last year due to lack of participation, rescheduled for 13 Sept 08, guess where I was.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
They usually call me Sir.
HA, That's good!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Saying that 10% of sportbike owners spend time on the track is a big overestimate. When you consider the numbers of these bikes sold and the availability of trackdays it's probably more like 0.1%. Maybe a hundred people show up on the weekend. There are what, a couple dozen tracks in the USA? Do the math.

The vast majority of motorcycle riders are incompetent Sunday dilettantes, regardless of the style of bike they own. I know this because when I surf the used bike ads 90% of the bikes are very low miles and I used to have a hobby of checking the odometers of bikes I see parked around town. 2-3K per year seems to be average. Pathetic.

If I were to pick the style of bike that tended to have the most competent riders, based on 40 years of observation, I'd give it to the naked standard owners. And if I had to pick the specific brand it would probably be BMW. The accident rates prove that sportbike riders are the least competent with the middle-aged cruiser guys running a close second.
Wow? Did I strike a nerve? Relax, This is not a competition on who's the most competent types of riders, based soley on what type's of bike's they ride?

That statement is so stereo-typical right there? There are many kinds of good and bad motorcycle riders out there, some are on sportbikes, some are on cruisers. Yes they do have the reputation, Iam awear of that? The almighty attitude get's so old in here, I swear.

Albeit, alot of sportbike rider's are young and inexperienced, granted. And "alot" of them are holigans on Sunday's. All I stated was that the accesability of getting on a track is growing and it's making "some" sportbike riders alot more competent?

When I started racing there was no such thing as a Trackday, If you wanted to go on a track, you had to race.
Did you ever stop to think about the percentage rate of sportbike rider's that possibly dont ever return to the street, because the track is more fun. Or the ones that just decide to go racing instead?

Look we are all squid's at one point? Were'nt you? I know I was! There's always somebody better, faster, more knowledeable, for example how would you feel at the age you got your first bike, standing next to, Steve Mcqueen?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #35
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"This is not a competition on who's the most competent types of riders, based soley on what type's of bike's they ride?

That statement is so stereo-typical right there?"

Stereotyping is not inherently bad. If a guy with filthy clothes, his eyes bugged out, drool coming from his lips approaches you with a knife, you might reasonably assume he's not going to ask you to whittle wood with him.

In the context of bikes making 120+ hp and weighing around 500 lbs, and the gross lack of rider training opportunities or requirements (MSF training is kindergarten) it's reasonable to make some assumptions.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Wow? Did I strike a nerve? Relax, This is not a competition on who's the most competent types of riders, based soley on what type's of bike's they ride?

That statement is so stereo-typical right there? There are many kinds of good and bad motorcycle riders out there, some are on sportbikes, some are on cruisers. Yes they do have the reputation, Iam awear of that? The almighty attitude get's so old in here, I swear.

Albeit, alot of sportbike rider's are young and inexperienced, granted. And "alot" of them are holigans on Sunday's. All I stated was that the accesability of getting on a track is growing and it's making "some" sportbike riders alot more competent?

When I started racing there was no such thing as a Trackday, If you wanted to go on a track, you had to race.
Did you ever stop to think about the percentage rate of sportbike rider's that possibly dont ever return to the street, because the track is more fun. Or the ones that just decide to go racing instead?

Look we are all squid's at one point? Were'nt you? I know I was! There's always somebody better, faster, more knowledeable, for example how would you feel at the age you got your first bike, standing next to, Steve Mcqueen?
Ha! You're the one who showed up on this site with the usual arrogant sportbiker attitude.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
No, I think it's reflexive from years of Kook-baiting, and wasn't directed at you a'tall.

"Kook Baiting" refers to the Full-Contact Game of posting something that would totally send KPaul into a frenzy of cut-&-paste and keyboard-pounding with denials, unsubstantiated counter-claims, goalpost-moving, and outright blind-ignorance of facts and data that often he would post here himself.

Come to think of it, not unlike some of the things YOU'VE done here now and again........

Good Times! Gooood Times!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Ha! You're the one who showed up on this site with the usual arrogant sportbiker attitude.
Arrogant? Buddy you've been riding that horse from day one, with the usual Hardly attitude and all of your little henchmen that scare everybody off this site? Maybe that's one reason why people come on here and post once, and never come back! Where's all the member's to this site? How many member's does this site really have? Cause I'am only count"in" about 15 of ya? Wonder why that is,... think it's because of Y O U R A R R O G A N C E?

To find all the answer's you need,...in yourself& your life... look in a mirror, it will tell you everything you need to know about yourself!

You only think this cause your a stereotypical Harley rider that hates's EVERYONE on a sportbike. Or at lest it seem's that way? Kinda like the two beemer Guy's that didn't wave today when I gave em a head's-up(wave)while riding down the road. Your so typical! Just as typical as the average sportbike rider it seem's.

I never showed arrogance unless that arrogance was aimed at me. You just have something for sportbike rider's, and maybe it's warranted, maybe that's the only experience you've had with the one's you've come in contact with.

All I'am saying is, take it easy on our community, most beggining riders choose sportbike's? It's up to us to educate them and make them responsible riders. Going to the track is one way to make that happen.Beating them down on line is not, Just cause you dont perfer sportbike's, that's fine, don't beat me up"on line" just beacuse cause I said trackday's are making them better? it's helping them at best.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"This is not a competition on who's the most competent types of riders, based soley on what type's of bike's they ride?

That statement is so stereo-typical right there?"

Stereotyping is not inherently bad. If a guy with filthy clothes, his eyes bugged out, drool coming from his lips approaches you with a knife, you might reasonably assume he's not going to ask you to whittle wood with him.

In the context of bikes making 120+ hp and weighing around 500 lbs, and the gross lack of rider training opportunities or requirements (MSF training is kindergarten) it's reasonable to make some assumptions.

Again, awear of the reputation. The trackday's are making rider's out of "some" of them. Is that exceptable?

Beside's realize I'am the guy who talk's inexperienced riders out of purchasing a 750, or even a 600 for their very first bike? E v e r y d a y?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
No, I think it's reflexive from years of Kook-baiting, and wasn't directed at you a'tall.

"Kook Baiting" refers to the Full-Contact Game of posting something that would totally send KPaul into a frenzy of cut-&-paste and keyboard-pounding with denials, unsubstantiated counter-claims, goalpost-moving, and outright blind-ignorance of facts and data that often he would post here himself.

Come to think of it, not unlike some of the things YOU'VE done here now and again........

Good Times! Gooood Times!

I think sometime's because of my lack of being able to express what I truly want to say, in writing, people often get the wrong impression of me, on line. Thats why I usually, just let my riding do the talking, instead of making people feel inferior,on line.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-04-2009 at 06:20 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote