Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
While your percetage rate is almost accurate, I question the persistance and knowledge that was involved. Most people try to half ass it if you will, by gutting mufflers, or just downloading a generic map. I have found when done properly most bikes gain from 5-10hp, not 4hp. Obviously this does not apply to all but an average gain should be in the range I have mentioned.

As you know, other things can effect horsepower aswell namely valve lash, amoungst many other things. What I really want to impress upon you is the gain from installing this kind of kit, and installing it right. The gain should be from the bottom to the top.

Those are real gains. Maybe it looks like only a 5mph advantage to you, but thats everything when your exiting a corner at 120mph and trying to get a good drive off of it,to beat your closest opponent in to the next corner.

Sure most guys on the street will never tap into that tenth of a secound or even know what it takes to get there, the point is, even if it's not completly used, at least it's running properly.Beside's I'am not here to defend it's use but it's function when installed properly.


This is just a random map I found as an example, as you can see the bike has gained hp troughout the entire rpm range. Sure it's only 5 more mph but that's everything when your trying to have it run at it's peak performance,..even if you can't use it all.

First off I don't generally believe the numbers the people who make these things post. After they spend a lot of time developing a system they aren't going to do anything else but claim it increases hp. I'd only accept independent numbers. Another on line mag has posted a couple of mod jobs and the gains were pretty miniscule. One was 5hp on a Z1000 and another showed a 6 hp gain at high revs with a hp loss throughout the lower 75% of the rpm band, I forget the bike. Both with very expensive systems.

Anyhoo if some squid wants to spend $1300 on some exhaust system that only a pro rider on a track would benefit from, well that's their decision. As I said, such numbers are meaningless since 90% of riders would probably be faster on the track if they sold their peaky 140hp I-4 and bought a 125hp V-twin. And spending the cost of installing an exhaust on training would make them faster. Buying extra hp when one doesn't have the training and skill to use the hp he has is plain dumb.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Americans are into excess and bragging rights. If their bike isn't somehow faster than the exact same one next to it at the Burger Barn, they feel slighted. I think it's pretty funny that all the sportbike guys laugh at the 'loud pipes save lives' thing, yet the very first thing they want to do is make it louder. Ironic it is. The other irony is that 95% of these 'racing' bikes never see a racetrack, so they spend their lives getting ridden to the Burger Barn and then every one stands around talking about how Harley riders never ride anywhere.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Americans are into excess and bragging rights. If their bike isn't somehow faster than the exact same one next to it at the Burger Barn, they feel slighted. I think it's pretty funny that all the sportbike guys laugh at the 'loud pipes save lives' thing, yet the very first thing they want to do is make it louder. Ironic it is. The other irony is that 95% of these 'racing' bikes never see a racetrack, so they spend their lives getting ridden to the Burger Barn and then every one stands around talking about how Harley riders never ride anywhere.
Well not all sport bike riders laugh at the loud pipes save lives, infact I have used it many time's too let drivers know Iam there, alot. Besides where's this Burger Barn?
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Well not all sport bike riders laugh at the loud pipes save lives, infact I have used it many time's too let drivers know Iam there, alot. Besides where's this Burger Barn?
The Burger Barn is not a place. It's a state of mind. It's a place beyond shadow and substance. It's a fantasy world where sportbike riders gather to compare magazine specifications and convince each other that people who ride non-sportbikes are low class. In this world riding to a cafe on Sunday is the usual extent of riding experience. They never spend time at the track and don't put many miles on their bikes yet love to call Harley riders "posers". They are arrogant and usually barely competent riders.I'm sure you've met them. After all, 90% of sportbike riders qualify. That's the signpost up ahead: Your next stop, The Burger Barn.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Burger Barn is not a place. It's a state of mind. It's a place beyond shadow and substance. It's a fantasy world where sportbike riders gather to compare magazine specifications and convince each other that people who ride non-sportbikes are low class. In this world riding to a cafe on Sunday is the usual extent of riding experience. They never spend time at the track and don't put many miles on their bikes yet love to call Harley riders "posers". They are arrogant and usually barely competent riders.I'm sure you've met them. After all, 90% of sportbike riders qualify. That's the signpost up ahead: Your next stop, The Burger Barn.
Or it's a real place in Orange County where squids meet to do the exact same thing as described above.

I can't remember which......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Burger Barn is not a place. It's a state of mind. It's a place beyond shadow and substance. It's a fantasy world where sportbike riders gather to compare magazine specifications and convince each other that people who ride non-sportbikes are low class. In this world riding to a cafe on Sunday is the usual extent of riding experience. They never spend time at the track and don't put many miles on their bikes yet love to call Harley riders "posers". They are arrogant and usually barely competent riders.I'm sure you've met them. After all, 90% of sportbike riders qualify. That's the signpost up ahead: Your next stop, The Burger Barn.
IT WAS A JOKE? But thanks, anywho.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #27
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Default

However I dont believe it's 90%. I think within the last ten year's the accessibility of getting on race track's has made the common sportbike rider alot more competent. Wonder what the hardest,hard core, Harley rider's term would be for some of the guys that ride harleys today. You know like some of the Hells Angels, what would their terminology be like for the average Joe harley guy?
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
However I dont believe it's 90%. I think within the last ten year's the accessibility of getting on race track's has made the common sportbike rider alot more competent. Wonder what the hardest,hard core, Harley rider's term would be for some of the guys that ride harleys today. You know like some of the Hells Angels, what would their terminology be like for the average Joe harley guy?
They usually call me Sir.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
However I dont believe it's 90%. I think within the last ten year's the accessibility of getting on race track's has made the common sportbike rider alot more competent. Wonder what the hardest,hard core, Harley rider's term would be for some of the guys that ride harleys today. You know like some of the Hells Angels, what would their terminology be like for the average Joe harley guy?
Saying that 10% of sportbike owners spend time on the track is a big overestimate. When you consider the numbers of these bikes sold and the availability of trackdays it's probably more like 0.1%. Maybe a hundred people show up on the weekend. There are what, a couple dozen tracks in the USA? Do the math.

The vast majority of motorcycle riders are incompetent Sunday dilettantes, regardless of the style of bike they own. I know this because when I surf the used bike ads 90% of the bikes are very low miles and I used to have a hobby of checking the odometers of bikes I see parked around town. 2-3K per year seems to be average. Pathetic.

If I were to pick the style of bike that tended to have the most competent riders, based on 40 years of observation, I'd give it to the naked standard owners. And if I had to pick the specific brand it would probably be BMW. The accident rates prove that sportbike riders are the least competent with the middle-aged cruiser guys running a close second.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 01-03-2009 at 06:56 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Saying that 10% of sportbike owners spend time on the track is a big overestimate. When you consider the numbers of these bikes sold and the availability of trackdays it's probably more like 0.1%. Maybe a hundred people show up on the weekend. There are what, a couple dozen tracks in the USA? Do the math.

The vast majority of motorcycle riders are incompetent Sunday dilettantes, regardless of the style of bike they own. I know this because when I surf the used bike ads 90% of the bikes are very low miles and I used to have a hobby of checking the odometers of bikes I see parked around town. 2-3K per year seems to be average. Pathetic.

If I were to pick the style of bike that tended to have the most competent riders, based on 40 years of observation, I'd give it to the naked standard owners. And if I had to pick the specific brand it would probably be BMW. The accident rates prove that sportbike riders are the least competent with the middle-aged cruiser guys running a close second.
Keyboard smashing....superior performance........GPTB......Harley guy.......Freddie's school......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off