Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
MikesFJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
There is quite a bit of that around here.

Ya think maybe we scare people off?

Regarding your 'Tropic Thunder' avatar, pp... I still haven't decided if I liked that movie or not. It certainly had some entertaining bits, but after it was over, I almost felt like I'd wasted a couple hours of my life. Mind you, it certainly was no 'Major Paine', but still...
I wasn't sure if I liked the movie either, felt the same way you did. When I saw the avatar and sig line...I laughed at the memory. At least I laughed once watching it. Cruise was the best part of that movie by far. Guess that's not saying much, but I thought he was hilarious.

By the way, has anyone suggested modifying a set of FJR headers? Just a thought...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I almost felt like I'd wasted a couple hours of my life. .

Isn't that what movies are supposed to do?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
$200+ for .5 more hp. What a deal. Or .5 less. Who knows?

At least they don't make any claims.

Don't you want to consider more than just the overall hp gain? Should'nt you also consider the gain you get from off idle response, all the way to the top of the rpm range?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Don't you want to consider more than just the overall hp gain? Should'nt you also consider the gain you get from off idle response, all the way to the top of the rpm range?

Oh, heck, no!

It's all about the sound, and how b!tchin' they look!

Oh, and how much lighter they are than stock. Which is very important on a bike that is restricted from some bridges.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I would, if there were any. Usually just a pipe change gives you a loss everywhere. Drag pipes are noted for increasing top rpm power slightly while reducing power throughout the rest of the powerband.

I've modified enough exhaust systems myself to know that usually you end up worse off on modern bikes. The manufacturers do a much better job than some guy in a garage in Tarzana with a GED.

If you wanna got faster then spend the money on track school instead.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
I would, if there were any. Usually just a pipe change gives you a loss everywhere. Drag pipes are noted for increasing top rpm power slightly while reducing power throughout the rest of the powerband.

I've modified enough exhaust systems myself to know that usually you end up worse off on modern bikes. The manufacturers do a much better job than some guy in a garage in Tarzana with a GED.

If you wanna got faster then spend the money on track school instead.
I have always seen gain's mostly throughout the entire rpm range, always. But it usually required a remap or jetkit. Still always gained hp throughout on the Dyno.

When you say modified? Is that using your stock exhaust and modifing that? Are you adding the jetkit/powercommander? Most importantly are you using a dynomometer of some sort?

Working on a dyno from 92-96 I may of ran into finding a happy medium on some bikes but always showed some type of gain from off idle to the top.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I have always seen gain's mostly throughout the entire rpm range, always. But it usually required a remap or jetkit. Still always gained hp throughout on the Dyno.

When you say modified? Is that using your stock exhaust and modifing that? Are you adding the jetkit/powercommander? Most importantly are you using a dynomometer of some sort?

Working on a dyno from 92-96 I may of ran into finding a happy medium on some bikes but always showed some type of gain from off idle to the top.
90+% of the people I see with pipes are obviously running waaay lean. While you are correct that a small gain may be had if the mixture is reworked I've also seen several writeups where after much work there's really not much gained in the end. Is it really worth $1300 to gat another 4hp form a CBR1000? I still think $1300 is much better spent in track training than on a pipe. Almost none of these people use more than 50% of a sportbikes' capability in the first place. After a 5% hp gain they'll be using 45%.

I'm mainly concerned with the new laws that our increasingly oppressive govts are passing to deal with stunting, noise, etc.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Don't forget

The Honda Shadow Vtwin sounds like crap when it's opened up. It ain't gonna sound like no Harley no matter how hard you try.

The engine has an offset crank pin and will not potato-potato no matter what.

It's more like FFFFFaaaaaarrrrrrtttttttt.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When I got my '82 KZ750 in a basket, it had an 880cc Wiesco big bore kit in it, Kerker, port work, big cams, etc. But stock jets.

I took me three months and hundreds of dollars worth of brass to finally get it running right.

And when it blew a headgasket, I had to have one made from scratch for $250.00.

Not worth it. Still rus though, just ask my next door neighbor (who goes whooshing by every few hours).
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
90+% of the people I see with pipes are obviously running waaay lean. While you are correct that a small gain may be had if the mixture is reworked I've also seen several writeups where after much work there's really not much gained in the end. Is it really worth $1300 to gat another 4hp form a CBR1000? I still think $1300 is much better spent in track training than on a pipe. Almost none of these people use more than 50% of a sportbikes' capability in the first place. After a 5% hp gain they'll be using 45%.

I'm mainly concerned with the new laws that our increasingly oppressive govts are passing to deal with stunting, noise, etc.

While your percetage rate is almost accurate, I question the persistance and knowledge that was involved. Most people try to half ass it if you will, by gutting mufflers, or just downloading a generic map. I have found when done properly most bikes gain from 5-10hp, not 4hp. Obviously this does not apply to all but an average gain should be in the range I have mentioned.

As you know, other things can effect horsepower aswell namely valve lash, amoungst many other things. What I really want to impress upon you is the gain from installing this kind of kit, and installing it right. The gain should be from the bottom to the top.

Those are real gains. Maybe it looks like only a 5mph advantage to you, but thats everything when your exiting a corner at 120mph and trying to get a good drive off of it,to beat your closest opponent in to the next corner.

Sure most guys on the street will never tap into that tenth of a secound or even know what it takes to get there, the point is, even if it's not completly used, at least it's running properly.Beside's I'am not here to defend it's use but it's function when installed properly.

This is just a random map I found as an example, as you can see the bike has gained hp troughout the entire rpm range. Sure it's only 5 more mph but that's everything when your trying to have it run at it's peak performance,..even if you can't use it all.