Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthaga View Post
WOW! Thanks for the really informative post. I'm sorry, maybe I should ask um, how do I change my mirrors or maybe how do I get theses cards to stay in my spokes? Cuz I love the way the clicking sound makes me go weeee! Your the mod here WOW!
One thing is sure. If you can't take a joke you won't last long. MO is largely a free speech site. We only delete content that is threatening, racist or otherwise illegal.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Take a pill there dude. I doubt anyone would know EXACTLY what you need to do unless they actually performed the conversion themselves. There could be 50 things you need to modify to get that to work. It might bolt right on. The usual way to do these types of things is to go for it and solve each problem as it presents itself. By the end, you either have a job well done and it was easy, or it was a complete money pit that just plain doesn't work well. My own 2 cents is that if you aren't a competent mechanic and don't know a really good machinist, don't do it.

Last edited by longride : 12-10-2008 at 09:24 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
losthaga
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I really didn't mean any offense to anyone. I was just really surprised by the response that I received from of all people the moderators. I am now seeing that almost all on this forum have been here a long time and are mods. BTW I AM AND DO! Not a big Honda guy is all. Also to bring a little knowledge to the forum and not just try to take! They will work! The pin size is the same. The only part that is different is the size of the hole that holds the forks! I'm thinking and hopping this will be a great upgrade. It should help stiffen and tighten the whole bike. I will report back and let you know how it went for all that race or stunt their bikes and may want a stiffer stronger suspension.
losthaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

If you find the 1000 set doesn't work out, you might try taking both sets of trees to a shop and having one workable set made out of them.

Or, just have the 600 trees rebuilt to handle the bigger tubes. It's only money!

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I really didn't mean any offense to anyone. I was just really surprised by the response that I received from of all people the moderators. I am now seeing that almost all on this forum have been here a long time and are mods. BTW I AM AND DO! Not a big Honda guy is all. Also to bring a little knowledge to the forum and not just try to take! They will work! The pin size is the same. The only part that is different is the size of the hole that holds the forks! I'm thinking and hopping this will be a great upgrade. It should help stiffen and tighten the whole bike. I will report back and let you know how it went for all that race or stunt their bikes and may want a stiffer stronger suspension.
Not a big Honda guy? You'll fit right in.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Stiffer is not always better.

Matching two O.E.M part numbers will tell you if the lower tree will fit, if they are the same it should fit.
But the main question you should be wondering about is how it will feel. Is it going to help handling, or hurt it? Aftermarket forks like those are built to a specific tollerance and rigidity for a reason. The 1k is a much heaver bike than the 6.

I know because I have two sets of the Ohlins R&T forks and tried that exact swap on the Suzukis and it hurt the overall handling of the bike.
Spoke with a friend at Ohlins and he advised me against it, reinvorcing what I had learned already. Just tell your friend to get the 25mm cartridges and install those. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Stiffer is not always better.

Matching two O.E.M part numbers will tell you if the lower tree will fit, if they are the same it should fit.
But the main question you should be wondering about is how it will feel. Is it going to help handling, or hurt it? Aftermarket forks like those are built to a specific tollerance and rigidity for a reason. The 1k is a much heaver bike than the 6.

I know because I have two sets of the Ohlins R&T forks and tried that exact swap on the Suzukis and it hurt the overall handling of the bike.
Spoke with a friend at Ohlins and he advised me against it, reinvorcing what I had learned already. Just tell your friend to get the 25mm cartridges and install those. Good luck.
What he said.

I can tell you already that the part numbers are not going to match. Honda went to a "common" size for the steering stems for all its sportbikes back in the late '80s, and essentially stuck with it through the early '00s. However, with the addition of the "HESD" dampers, I don't know if there have been any changes.

Like I said before - the stem will almost-certainly fit, but the fork-spacing might be different, or even the offset between the top and bottom triple might be different than on the 600. And as MOKE1 pointed out - the damping and spring rates are for SURE not the same. Might make the 600 so bone-jarringly-harsh as to be unridable, or cause the bike to push terribly.

Personally, I would either put a set of Racetech valves in it, or the Ohlins guts if I had a few more bucks. That would essentially make the forks "Ohlins" in everything but name.

That is all for you to decide if its worth it, though. You pays yer money, and you takes yer chances.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Take a pill there dude. I doubt anyone would know EXACTLY what you need to do unless they actually performed the conversion themselves. There could be 50 things you need to modify to get that to work. It might bolt right on. The usual way to do these types of things is to go for it and solve each problem as it presents itself. By the end, you either have a job well done and it was easy, or it was a complete money pit that just plain doesn't work well. My own 2 cents is that if you aren't a competent mechanic and don't know a really good machinist, don't do it.
Do you suppose we could get Congress to tack-onto the D3 Bailout-Bill an Appropriation for Fork-Stem Cell Research?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Exsqueeze me, I am noob and if my question is dumb I will be ashamed:

Isn't an '07 CBR 600 already such a great handling bike that maybe 1 out of 1000 riders can actually take it to it's potential anyway? Moke1, whaddya say to that?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Agreed Ken! Something I always try to relay to the people I come in contact with, or when selling them a bike. Most sportbike riders arent out for learning to truly ride a bike to it's full potential. They just want to look cool. Most discover this once a trackday is taken. Happens all the time at our local track seeing that its more of a 600 track. The 1000's get whooped on if they cant ride it to at least 80%.