Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle Magazine Discussion

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #41
ofreen
Registered Member

The nice thing about magazines is that you can put 25 years worth in boxes and keep them in your closets so that you have room in there for nothing else. The boxes are really heavy, too. Anybody want them?
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #42
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
The nice thing about magazines is that you can put 25 years worth in boxes and keep them in your closets so that you have room in there for nothing else. The boxes are really heavy, too. Anybody want them?
You s'pose you could scan them things into yer computer, burn it to a couple O' DVD's, then pop 'em into the mail and send 'em to me?

I'd even pay shipping.........

(Or better yet - just put 'em up on an FTP site, I'll download from there to save the cost of postage)
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #43
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ken, I was refering to the new ZX14 based Concours, not the (ahem) "Classic" that you have which is akin to the Trophy as a basic design that works.

I'd be more than happy to take that nasty ol' Shovelhead off your hands, I had '76 Superglide based chopper I built and rode the crap out of and an '80 Po-lice bagger I rode the wheels off also. I love Shovelheads, always room for one in my garage....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #44
ofreen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You s'pose you could scan them things into yer computer, burn it to a couple O' DVD's, then pop 'em into the mail and send 'em to me?

I'd even pay shipping.........

(Or better yet - just put 'em up on an FTP site, I'll download from there to save the cost of postage)
I'll get right on it.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #45
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
I'll get right on it.
Thanks, 'preciate it. Got an ETA on when I can start the downloads?

(all ridiculousness aside here - I actually LOVE diggin' through old moto/car mags, and especially get a kick out of "predictive" articles. fun to see if they were right. I'd actually be overjoyed to take all those old mags off your hands, but it's not practical for me)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #46
Jonniedee
Founding Member

Cause you can't take a lap top into the bathroom to wank off with
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #47
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Wowee! Even and idiot like me can pull the alternator on the Con-ster! Anybody know a cheap rebuild shop? BTW, sarnali2, I dropped you a note on the '77 FXS.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #48
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
I think I can offer some possible answers to your question.

Why? Because magazines, in many cases (as stated here) are more convenient. It's a bit harder to curl up with your laptop.

People still like to hold a magazine, look at the big pictures (a computer screen isn't quite the same). A well designed magazine is just more beautiful than most web sites. They like to feel the paper of a high quality magazine.

They like to be able to throw it in a bag and read it on the train instead of lugging and unpacking a laptop and using their battery power. You probably wouldn't take your laptop to the beach.

It takes time to prepare your digital files to read when you're not going to have internet access. It's easier just to bring a print mag.
I can think of some other reasons. Most websites are pretty clueless about ads. When I get a paper magazine I value the ads. Most websites including this one make ads annoying! I don't want them flashing or sitting in the middle of the text. When they do out comes adblocker.
Second is that most web desginers seem to hate users. Take this site for example. Why is only 1/3 of the screen being used? I understand the use of white space but I want text! I don't want or need huge cream colored bars on the sides of my text to make it easy to read. It is like reading through a pin hole.
Third is frankly lack of depth. Motorcycle.com does good articles but because I can come every day I want new content every day. That makes life very hard for them. I want to see more bike, helmet, and equipment reviews and comparisons. The paper magazines seem to get all the good toys first. Probably because they have more readers which is a shame.
I would really like to re-subscribe to motorcycle.com but the new website I feel is actually a lot less useful than the old.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #49
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Look for more product reviews on MO in the future.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #50
Humpydogg
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladg View Post
I blame the loss of discussion IQ on the new MO format.
No ****! You guys need to have a little more ventilation when using large amounts of contact cleaner and solvent. Tru dat.