Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle Magazine Discussion

Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #31
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

pdad's a Treekiller.

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

And one more great reason for print magazines: you can save them and build a collection! When I was a kid I loved reading my Dad's collections of various magazines (he was a camera buff) but I also read all my neighbor's Dad's R/C airplane magazines. Although I never caught the camera bug, I sure did get the R/C plane bug!

I'm hoping one day my son will pull his head out of his Nintendo D/S long enough to notice the extensive collection of bike mags I've built and start browsing them.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #33
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
And one more great reason for print magazines: you can save them and build a collection! When I was a kid I loved reading my Dad's collections of various magazines.
I read MY Dad's collections of various magazines too. But, they're probably illegible now, with all the pages stuck-together an' stuff.......
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #34
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

THAT was the reply I was setting up for!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #35
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
THAT was the reply I was setting up for!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #36
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
-
Personally, if it isn't too big, it will seem like a good replacement to the Triumph Trophy. I loved the trophy and nearly had one if it weren't for a lame dealership with poor customer service.

I beg to differ there, mon fre'r. The appeal of the Trophy, aside from drop dead gorgeous looks was in it's simplicity. Simplicity begats reliability and the ability for a reasonably skilled owner to diagnose and repair any problems that crop up. The only thing "hi tech" on the bike was electronic ignition, other than that it was a carburated watercooled inline four with chain drive, no servo activated windshield or suspension, no variable valve timing, no electronic instruments, just a basic motor and two wheels bike with some body work..

From my own perspective that's a good thing, I like my bikes simple and reliable. My Explorer and Range Rover are electronic everything, I can barely change the oil and air filters on them, I don't mind that on a cage but I personally don't want or need that level of sophistication on a bike and that's exactly what you get with the Concours, BMW, FJR and ST1300. Unless I go insane anytime soon my next bike will be an Airhead RT or another Trophy for a winter bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I beg to differ there, mon fre'r. The appeal of the Trophy, aside from drop dead gorgeous looks was in it's simplicity. Simplicity begats reliability.
Yeah, and when the Nukular Winter DOES come in a few years (after the Last Great War), you'll be able to roam the Great American Wastelands as a Reaver; living-off of what you can find, stealing from those weaker than you. Just place to place to place, lookin' for that next tank of Juice to fuel your high-octane Terrorcycle.

Personally, I'd stick close to the Midwest Oil-fields - somebody is SURE to build themselves a tiny, crudely-constructed refinery next to one of them Kansas Oilwells. It'd be goin' day and night, night and day; Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk...........
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #38
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Two thoughts:

1. If there's anything all that high tech on a Concours, I sure missed it. 4 carbs, basic electronic ignition, shaft drive is pretty simple. The most difficult thing on the bike is taking off the damn bodywork.

2. If simplicity of design and ease of repair appeal to you, perhaps I could interest you in a lovely '77 HD FXS Shovelhead. It can be repaired with screwdrivers, pliers, and a crescent wrench, and most parts are interchangable with common farm implements. Unless somebody f's it up, it will be running long after I'm dead.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #39
pdad13
Founding Member

Yes, it's true. I've always hated the leafy b*stards. The way the stand there, all smug; it drives me nuts. I walk past the same ones every day and they never ask how I'm doing or even have the common courtesy to wave.

A tree tried to kill me on my birthday this year. Jumped right out in front of my car (it pretended like it just "fell." Yeah, riiiight). They're everywhere and they're vicious. But people just refuse to see.

I'll get 'em, though; everyone I can. I'll buy newspapers I won't read. I'll print every useless volumous PowerPoint presentation I get at work. I'll subscribe to Modern Bride.

I'll stop at nothing. Nothing, I tell ya!
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #40
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Buy one small item from J-P Cycles and you will do more to deforest North American than 10,000 chainsaw wielding lumberjacks could in 20 years. They send me a phone book sized catalog almost every month, and they won't stop no matter how many times I ask.