Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Magazine Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-magazine-discussion/)
-   -   In the Internet age, why bother with print? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-magazine-discussion/5085-internet-age-why-bother-print.html)

The_AirHawk 07-02-2007 10:04 AM

pdad's a Treekiller.

:o

Kenneth_Moore 07-02-2007 10:13 AM

And one more great reason for print magazines: you can save them and build a collection! When I was a kid I loved reading my Dad's collections of various magazines (he was a camera buff) but I also read all my neighbor's Dad's R/C airplane magazines. Although I never caught the camera bug, I sure did get the R/C plane bug!

I'm hoping one day my son will pull his head out of his Nintendo D/S long enough to notice the extensive collection of bike mags I've built and start browsing them.

The_AirHawk 07-02-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 164108)
And one more great reason for print magazines: you can save them and build a collection! When I was a kid I loved reading my Dad's collections of various magazines.

I read MY Dad's collections of various magazines too. But, they're probably illegible now, with all the pages stuck-together an' stuff.......

Kenneth_Moore 07-02-2007 10:33 AM

THAT was the reply I was setting up for!

The_AirHawk 07-02-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 164115)
THAT was the reply I was setting up for!

:o :D .

sarnali2 07-03-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 163848)
-
Personally, if it isn't too big, it will seem like a good replacement to the Triumph Trophy. I loved the trophy and nearly had one if it weren't for a lame dealership with poor customer service.

I beg to differ there, mon fre'r. The appeal of the Trophy, aside from drop dead gorgeous looks was in it's simplicity. Simplicity begats reliability and the ability for a reasonably skilled owner to diagnose and repair any problems that crop up. The only thing "hi tech" on the bike was electronic ignition, other than that it was a carburated watercooled inline four with chain drive, no servo activated windshield or suspension, no variable valve timing, no electronic instruments, just a basic motor and two wheels bike with some body work..

From my own perspective that's a good thing, I like my bikes simple and reliable. My Explorer and Range Rover are electronic everything, I can barely change the oil and air filters on them, I don't mind that on a cage but I personally don't want or need that level of sophistication on a bike and that's exactly what you get with the Concours, BMW, FJR and ST1300. Unless I go insane anytime soon my next bike will be an Airhead RT or another Trophy for a winter bike.

The_AirHawk 07-03-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 164215)
I beg to differ there, mon fre'r. The appeal of the Trophy, aside from drop dead gorgeous looks was in it's simplicity. Simplicity begats reliability.

Yeah, and when the Nukular Winter DOES come in a few years (after the Last Great War), you'll be able to roam the Great American Wastelands as a Reaver; living-off of what you can find, stealing from those weaker than you. Just place to place to place, lookin' for that next tank of Juice to fuel your high-octane Terrorcycle.

Personally, I'd stick close to the Midwest Oil-fields - somebody is SURE to build themselves a tiny, crudely-constructed refinery next to one of them Kansas Oilwells. It'd be goin' day and night, night and day; Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk...........

Kenneth_Moore 07-03-2007 01:06 PM

Two thoughts:

1. If there's anything all that high tech on a Concours, I sure missed it. 4 carbs, basic electronic ignition, shaft drive is pretty simple. The most difficult thing on the bike is taking off the damn bodywork.

2. If simplicity of design and ease of repair appeal to you, perhaps I could interest you in a lovely '77 HD FXS Shovelhead. It can be repaired with screwdrivers, pliers, and a crescent wrench, and most parts are interchangable with common farm implements. Unless somebody f's it up, it will be running long after I'm dead.

pdad13 07-03-2007 01:19 PM

Yes, it's true. I've always hated the leafy b*stards. The way the stand there, all smug; it drives me nuts. I walk past the same ones every day and they never ask how I'm doing or even have the common courtesy to wave.

A tree tried to kill me on my birthday this year. Jumped right out in front of my car (it pretended like it just "fell." Yeah, riiiight). They're everywhere and they're vicious. But people just refuse to see.

I'll get 'em, though; everyone I can. I'll buy newspapers I won't read. I'll print every useless volumous PowerPoint presentation I get at work. I'll subscribe to Modern Bride.

I'll stop at nothing. Nothing, I tell ya!

Kenneth_Moore 07-03-2007 02:41 PM

Buy one small item from J-P Cycles and you will do more to deforest North American than 10,000 chainsaw wielding lumberjacks could in 20 years. They send me a phone book sized catalog almost every month, and they won't stop no matter how many times I ask.