Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Kawasaki Japan Tour (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9875-kawasaki-japan-tour.html)

Administrator 10-27-2008 02:18 PM

Kawasaki Japan Tour

Original Article:
Kawasaki Japan Tour

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Kawasaki Japan Tour in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 10-27-2008 02:54 PM

Man, you learn something new every day! I was totally unaware of the far-reaching arm of Kawasaki. Impressive.

Kenneth_Moore 10-27-2008 03:25 PM

Very cool stuff Mr. Duke! I'm looking forward to Part II.

When I was a kid, my Dad took me and my sis to Japan for a couple of weeks. He was stationed there after WWII. Part of our trip included factory tours. The one I remember best was the Hitachi plant. They demonstrated futuristic technologies like a small oven that heated damp face towels almost instantly, and TV camera setups that people could use at home. This was '66 or '67; who knew then that we'd all consider microwaves and home video gear ho-hum one day.

TheFox 10-27-2008 08:56 PM

It was said some years ago that Kawasaki lost money every year on its motorcycle operations. They only continued because it was good advertising for their other lines, and the corporation enjoyed the prestige of racing.

Also remember hearing about the runway down the middle of the factory that is the first test run for all Kawasakis. The was the reason their engines made such good drag racers - first impressions of a bike for Kawasaki were always in a straight line.

They've always been my favorite Japanese manufacturer and always will be. Their recent revamp of their line made me very happy.

sarnali2 10-28-2008 06:59 AM

Cool, my first real street bike and sport bike were both Kawasaki's. I knew about the aircraft and shipbuilding, not the rest though I see they're quite the powerhouse. I have to wonder though when it comes to building diesels that big how it could be more cost effective than a boiler and steam turbine for marine use. I guess when you factor in the larger evaporators, pumps and piping it would be more complicated than a straight diesel and fuel pump.

giganto 10-28-2008 12:07 PM

..underground too.

In clean, fair and shiny NYC, you can spot Kawy on the inside of many subway cars...i miss the city, sniff.
Nice article, more is good.

pplassm 10-29-2008 08:01 AM

Is that a real Hien or a model? If it's real, that's the first Ki-61 I've seen intact.

Kevin_Duke 10-29-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 196765)
Is that a real Hien or a model? If it's real, that's the first Ki-61 I've seen intact.

It's an intact model! ;)

maryjstar89 12-01-2008 04:22 PM

yeah. i wish i coulda gone to that. didn't know it was so hot over there. learned something new definitely...

Dr_Sprocket 12-01-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryjstar89 (Post 198393)
yeah. i wish i coulda gone to that. didn't know it was so hot over there. learned something new definitely...

When I was stationed in Korea, I was able to visit northern and southern Japan. I can tell you, northern Japan is quite cool. Okinawa was quite humid.