Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

"The seamless, 4.4-gallon fuel tank is curvaceous..." Seamless?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
nferr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
That's not a seam - that's Star's new "heat deflection shield".
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
That's not a seam - that's Star's new "heat deflection shield".
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought that ugly 3/8" stamp mark around the lower half of the tank was a seam. Besides the "heat deflection shield" I'd say it look pretty darn good for a bargain cruiser.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I had the same thought...I despise those ugly seams on the bottom of tanks. Sure looks like a seam on this one to me!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

My bad!! I stand corrected. Well, actually I sit corrected... eating candy corns in front of my computer, but I digress...

Tom Riles, you rock! Those were some of the best pics I've seen in a while (seriously)!

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 10-23-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: I spell like a too yeer old gurl.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I had the same thought...I despise those ugly seams on the bottom of tanks. Sure looks like a seam on this one to me!
Ooh, that's embarrassing! Sorry about that, gang. It is curvaceous though. I'll get that fixed.

Regarding the weights of the bikes, I just found out the Japanese OEMs have a new gentleman's agreement to state actual wet weights, not the pie-in-the-sky dry weights they formerly tried to deceive us with. Hurray!

And, yes, Tom Riles does rock! Tells damn good stories, too!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Granpooba
Registered Member

Question

I am sitting here wondering how the person/persons who wrote the review on the 2009 Yamaha V-Star 950, came up with valve adjustment intervals of 4,000 miles.

The owners manual of the new V-Star 950 that came with my new bike has a check off in the Valve Adjustment box at 15,000 miles. And a Yamaha Tech Rep told me, even at 15,000 miles, if they are not making any noise, then I would not have them adjusted.

Thus the question, how and where did you come up with the 4,000 miles valve adjustment interval ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....
Granpooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
I am sitting here wondering how the person/persons who wrote the review on the 2009 Yamaha V-Star 950, came up with valve adjustment intervals of 4,000 miles.

The owners manual of the new V-Star 950 that came with my new bike has a check off in the Valve Adjustment box at 15,000 miles. And a Yamaha Tech Rep told me, even at 15,000 miles, if they are not making any noise, then I would not have them adjusted.

Thus the question, how and where did you come up with the 4,000 miles valve adjustment interval ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....
The 4K-mile interval was provided by a Star rep at the launch, but as you note, it's actually much longer than that. In fact, they now tell me it has a 16K interval for valve adjustments.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We want to provide the most accurate information possible.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #19
Granpooba
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The 4K-mile interval was provided by a Star rep at the launch, but as you note, it's actually much longer than that. In fact, they now tell me it has a 16K interval for valve adjustments.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We want to provide the most accurate information possible.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............................
You must have talked to that Star Rep after his 3 martini lunch !
Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Granpooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
Sidewalk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
I'm a newbie to cruisers(have only ridden a 150 dirt bike), but am going to buy one soon. I was going to buy a 1300, but have decided to look at the 950. Will be doing nearly all open road riding. Will the 950 handle the wind? Plan on doing some motorcycle camping as well. I'm not a big guy (5'10" 160lbs), but wonder if it has power enough to get around with camping gear in the mountains?
I'm new to this forum, but I just got the 950 and was looking for company /discussion.

I am also an experienced rider in the mountains with camp gear, and this bike is going to be just fine for that. My last trip, from which I returned about 2 weeks ago, was on a Suzuki 800 and it never had a problem even at 10,000 feet or more. With gear I am probably 250 lbs. and the 800 zipped up and down the mountains easily. The 950 will do even better. I think. Only got 50 miles on it so far- but I can make an educated guess.

Sidewalk
Sidewalk is offline   Reply With Quote