Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 BMW F800GS Review

Original Article:
2009 BMW F800GS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 BMW F800GS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Neat stuff yumpin' up and down in that motor. I take it a 360 degree crank like this one has, one piston fires right after the next, on the next 360 degree rotation? Like an old Triumph?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
vermicious
Registered Member

Very nice! I've been eye-balling this bike for a while... unfortunately, all of my cash is tied up in selling my house (and you know where that leaves me)
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default Yep, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Neat stuff yumpin' up and down in that motor. I take it a 360 degree crank like this one has, one piston fires right after the next, on the next 360 degree rotation? Like an old Triumph?
I suppose a motorcycle "professional" like maself, this stuff should just roll of my tongue, but it's been quite a while since my days at L.A. Trade Tech. And now that I no longer have to repair my own motorbikes, it took me a while to look back in some old materials, but in essence you got the nail on the head.

"This leads to a working cycle every 360آ degrees... however, the advantage is that the firing is regular, with one cylinder firing each revolution of the crankshaft rather than every second revolution."

Now where's that old mercury gauge I had...
Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I see said the blind man. Does it kinda sound like a Kawasaki, er..I mean Triumph? Neat looking bike. Didn't BMW buy Husqvarna from Cagiva? Who was built from the ashes of Areamacchi? Or is it Aeramacchi? Whatever. Guess now that you're a well paid famous motojournalist you got rid of the Bandit...that had the reverse-slipper clutch. I'll never forget that day, when Sean ate it. I got to ride the ZX-10 for about three minutes...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up Just saw one in person...

During my recent trip to the Adirondacks, I had the chance to see a new F800GS in person. I can saw with certainty that the fit and finish is top notch. It feels light under seat, pulling it off the side stand, and this was fully loaded. The owner said that his top speed achieved thus far was 115 mph. That's good enough for me. I did notice that the new GS didn't have quite as much legroom (as my Uly) and that the seat was not quite as comfortable. Overall, it was a really nice bike!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default A day of infamy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
I see said the blind man. Does it kinda sound like a Kawasaki, er..I mean Triumph? Neat looking bike. Didn't BMW buy Husqvarna from Cagiva? Who was built from the ashes of Areamacchi? Or is it Aeramacchi? Whatever. Guess now that you're a well paid famous motojournalist you got rid of the Bandit...that had the reverse-slipper clutch. I'll never forget that day, when Sean ate it. I got to ride the ZX-10 for about three minutes...
IMO, it really sounds a lot like a Boxer, like I noted in the First Ride, and that engineers purposely did their best to emulate the Boxer exhaust note. My suspicion of the similarity between the two was confirmed by BMW staff at the launch.

Every time I ride in the area of the Rock Store I remember that fateful day. And, yes, the Bandito is long since gone. Sat around the MO garage so long a couple of years ago that a new battery went flat from lack of use.

FYI, that lil' pile-up still gets brought up in convo.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You're a good man Pete. Keep safe out there on the mean streets of LaLa Land. Glad to see your carreer taking off!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Pete- you ever ask about a SM model or if the ST wheels/brakes will slip right into place. Inquiry minds must know.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Cool Noup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Pete- you ever ask about a SM model or if the ST wheels/brakes will slip right into place. Inquiry minds must know.
===================================

"Pete,

Forget the possibility of swapping wheels.. Don't forget that the one
bike (GS) has a dual arm chain driven swing arm and the other two (S &
ST) have a single belt driven swing arm. The technical requirement's let
alone the cost would make this virtually impossible. For the front axel,
I'm receiving info from the tech guys that it won't just swap in..

Unless this guy wants to fabricate quite a bit of components it
shouldn't be something he should even consider - although a cool
concept..

All the best,

Roy

Roy Oliemuller
Motorcycle Communications Manager
BMW of North America, LLC "

=========================================