Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
ngn
Registered Member

Default Good price for a new bike?

Hi guys,

I'm planning to get a new 09 Ninja 650. The MSRP is $6,799. Since this is my first time buying a motorcycle, I was wondering what extra dealer charges other than license/registration/taxes are normally applicable. I talked to a dealer about the 08 Ninja once and he was saying it would cost about $7,900 OTD (MSRP was 6399 I think). Is this normal?

Thanks
ngn
ngn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
ngn
Registered Member

Also, do you recommended any accessories I should get with this bike? I've read a lot about frame sliders and will probably get those. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The old rules appear to be changing. Time was you expected to buy a UJM bike Out The Door (tax, title, dealer prep, shipping, etc.) for MSRP minus about $500. With the supplies limited as they are by the gas prices, that may not be realistic. I'd offer MSRP for the bike; they'll probably take it.

BTW: you have more leverage with bikes on the dealer's showroom floor than ones they have to order for you. The dealer is paying interest on every bike sitting on the floor or in the warehouse, and they are motivated to sell because of that.

Accessories: start with riding gear; helmet, crashwear, boots, etc. See what you think you need after you've ridden a while.

Sliders are great if you think you'll need them; but some are a pain to install. Others are a simple bolt-up.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 10-01-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngn View Post
Also, do you recommended any accessories I should get with this bike? I've read a lot about frame sliders and will probably get those. Any other suggestions?
Yes, buy used for your first bike. The 650R is ok as a first bike, but be prepared that you might/will drop it and mess up all of that shiny new plastic. This wouldn't matter if you bought a cheap beater as your first bike.

Also check out the New Rider thread here:
http://origin-www.motorcycle.com/for...438#post194438
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
ngn
Registered Member

I have my heart set on the ninja and the 09 model looks exactly like what I always wanted. Besides, I have ridden smaller street bikes for 5-6 years, so I'm not really concerned about dropping this new one so easily.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngn View Post
I have my heart set on the ninja and the 09 model looks exactly like what I always wanted. Besides, I have ridden smaller street bikes for 5-6 years, so I'm not really concerned about dropping this new one so easily.
Ok, then go ahead. You made it sound as though you were a first time rider. I've heard good things about 650R. You still might want to check out craigslist, cycletrader, and ebay. You might be able to get a used one for under 6 grand.

For instance here are just a few that I found for the 650R for under 6 grand on cycletrader:
2008 KAWASAKI Ninja 650R for sale in Lecanto, FL: SPORTBIKE - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI Ninja 650R for sale in Canton, OH: SPORTBIKE - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI Ninja 650R for sale in State College, PA: Sportbike - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI Ninja 650R for sale in Elgin, IL: Sportbike - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI Ninja 650R for sale in Pompano Beach, FL: SPORTBIKE - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI NINJA 650R for sale in Huron, OH: Sportbike - CycleTrader.com
2008 KAWASAKI NINJA 650R EX650A8F for sale in LaCrosse, VA: Sportbike - CycleTrader.com

Unless, you have your heart set on new and don't mind spending the extra amount. But, my opinion is why pay more when you can find a used one that is just as good for less.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
ngn
Registered Member

I think I'm pretty much set on getting a new one, just want to find out what a fair price would be.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
RatPack
Registered Member

First bike, get a used one, you will be happy you did, no need to torchure yourself looking at every little ding, knowing you got 3 years left of payments.

I would say check Creigslist.

If you are getting a bike through a dealership to use your credit, i would say go for it, since its your only option, that price is a bit expensive, you should take in a print out of another dealerships final price and be like "meet or beat this and we got a deal"
RatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Shinglejohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
why pay more when you can find a used one that is just as good for less.

Not to mention a used one will already be broken in so you can open it up a little on a nice stretch.
Shinglejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Look, getting a new bike is great peice of mind, cause you'll never know what the dogs and slots have been through.(transmission)Exspecially with new riders. Breaking a new bike in from the begining correctly is a wonderful thing.

Yes you can save alot or, spend a alot fixing someone elses problems.

Although most Japanese maufactures bikes are bullet proof, you never know what your going to get. Speaking of which, do yourself a favor and get the sliders, not only that but get the ones you have to drill the bodywerk those will mount to the most solid portion of the frame, which will pay dividens when you crash or lay it down. Offset slliders tend to screw alot more things up like your frame, most times.

If you can get to MSRP your doing good, also depends on what state you live in. Most Northern states have great deals in the winter cause no ones riding. And yes like Ken said the dealers are more motivated to give you a deal on something in the store, rather than something they have to retreive from another dealer. Ordering mid year from the Manufacture is rare, its usually a dealer transfer. Good luck! Need advise I sell em, just ask!