Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Suzuki Dealer Show Report (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9669-2009-suzuki-dealer-show-report.html)

Administrator 10-01-2008 11:07 AM

2009 Suzuki Dealer Show Report

Original Article:
2009 Suzuki Dealer Show Report

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Suzuki Dealer Show Report in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 10-01-2008 11:12 AM

I like the TU. If they'd wedge the GS500 motor in it I'd pay an extra $250. If they'd "scrambler" the thing I'd line up tomorrow.

seruzawa 10-01-2008 11:37 AM

Sure wish they would put put regular handlebars on the SV-Ses. Seating position's just too radical for a bike that's not really a track weapon.

I also don't think the naked Gladius looks bad. The name is a very unfortunate choice I think.

However my wife might like a bigger bike than the 125 scooter she's riding. Looks like that new 250 would fit someone who's 5'2". I think I'll take her to look at one when they arrive.

Kenneth_Moore 10-01-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 194843)
I also don't think the naked Gladius looks bad. The name is a very unfortunate choice I think.

Every time I see the name, it recalls that old joke about the "Happy Roman." However, at the Suzook website you can see one in all black, and it looks pretty good. Nothing to trade the DL1K over, but a nice bike nonetheless. I wonder if a 1000cc version is on the drawing boards?

pushrod 10-01-2008 02:05 PM

... The 1000cc version of the Gladius, not yet off the drawing board, will be called the "Ecstaticus." A turbocharged variant of the Gladius was considered. Named the "Giddicus," the project was shelved because of the inconsistent power delivery.

sachiwilson 10-01-2008 02:46 PM

I like the TU also. I hope it's as functional as it looks.

theDuke 10-01-2008 03:01 PM

I like the little TU a lot. I recently spent a month in Buenos Aires where the streets are filled with 125cc and 150cc standard-style bikes with modern looks. People there seem to use them everywhere from city streets to country highways. I thought it would be cool (and unfortunately extremely difficult with CA emissions rules) to bring one of those back for around-town running. The TU looks similar in execution but with more retro looks (and a larger engine) that I find pleasing.

With so many interesting small-displacemet bikes available elsewhere in the Western hemisphere (and often manufactured there as well) it would seem that trying a few in the U.S. market wouldn't be terribly difficult. How tough are emissions regulations for small bikes like this? After all, Honda has been selling the 250 Nighthawk here essentially unchanged for what, 15 years?

When I see bikes like this for prices like the one estimated in the article I actually start to wonder why scooters cost as much as they do? This seems like a bargain relatively speaking.

TheFox 10-01-2008 09:21 PM

That TU is the bike of the show. They're going to sell buckets of those things. The FI and styling is what makes it - hipster kids in Chicago are all about the 70's UJM and want as much money for old CBs as Suzuki does for this thing. They all want Vespas but they buy Chinese - I'm willing to wager they'll buy the pastiche UJM as well.

I wonder if this will hurry/prompt Kawasaki to put the FI the Euro Ninja 250 gets on the American model.

BrowningBAR 10-01-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 194842)
I like the TU. If they'd wedge the GS500 motor in it I'd pay an extra $250. If they'd "scrambler" the thing I'd line up tomorrow.

Agreed! I am totally enjoying the look of the TU. A 500cc motor would be great. It looks like you could retrofy it even more with a hard cover over the back seat and some clip-ons. Blamo - youve got a cheap Thuxton!

BrowningBAR 10-01-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 194843)
Sure wish they would put put regular handlebars on the SV-Ses. Seating position's just too radical for a bike that's not really a track weapon.

However my wife might like a bigger bike than the 125 scooter she's riding. Looks like that new 250 would fit someone who's 5'2". I think I'll take her to look at one when they arrive.

Yeah, the solid color paint scheme really helps out the Gladius. The name would be best if it were just switched to something like; NV650.

And why can't they throw on a handlebar set up like the Triumph ST or the VFR have?