Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Kawasaki Angel
Registered Member

Default Painting Aluminum Rims Black?

Hey, I'm new to this web site, I am 14 years old and i own Kawasaki Ninja Ex 250, I want to custimize it and paint the rims black but my dad said the paint would jus come rite off is there anyway that i cant paint them black WITHOUT buying a new pair of rims?

Thanks,
-Josh
Kawasaki Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Spread aluminum jelly all over the rims and let it sit for about 20 minutes, it will pit the aluminum surface well enough to cause the paint to stick. Dont forget a primer coat, then the flat black paint, You don't want gloss, do you? Tacky tacky tacky.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Don't listen to Cuddy.

Aluminum can be painted, but it may not be very durable. You can improve the durability by using an etching primer, which does a better job of bonding to the metal. However, unless you have a pro set up in which you can bake the paint on, anything you do will be rather soft and easy to mar. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it - just that you should be aware that you won't get a professional finish from it if you do it yourself.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Kawasaki Angel
Registered Member

No, I don't want gloss, i juss want a black color, Also, i am not doing this myself my father knows some guys that know how to do it. I just want to find away to make it stick on the rims.
Kawasaki Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki Angel View Post
No, I don't want gloss, i juss want a black color, Also, i am not doing this myself my father knows some guys that know how to do it. I just want to find away to make it stick on the rims.
Strip the current paint with "Aircraft Remover" (being sure to use rubber gloves, eye protection, and do this in a well-ventilated area) and take them to any local shop that does powdercoating.

In fact, you might ask them ahead of time - they may have a media-blaster (such as walnut shells or plastic media) that takes the paint off easier.

With powdercoating, it's unlikely you'll be able to take the finish off with anything short of a hammer and chisel or a grinder.

If there's anything else on the bike you want coated the same colour, you might enquire at the same time - it'll probably not cost any more for the additional parts, and powdercoating is "cheaper" than ever.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Good response, AirHawk. Powdercoating is what I would have suggested if I had known our inquirer was going to shop it out.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

If he does it right, a coat of paint from a rattle can will be just fine.

After the (appropriate) primer coat, the color coat paint doesn't know what metal is there... and folks have been painting steel rims in their garages for eons.

And if it gets marred, scratched, completely screwed up by some ham-fisted mechanic when changine tires, it's easy enough to fix.

And, it'll cost less than $20, masking tape included.

+1 on the semi-gloss or matte finish. Gloss would look like poop.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

DON'T LISTEN TO CUDDY!? A clean surface of aluminum is needed to let the paint adhere to the metal, and Aluminum Jelly cleans and etches the aluminum allowing the primer to stick tight to the metal. Pshaw. Fie and Pox.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Y'all are making this waaaaay too complicated. Use an old working electric oven and powder coat the wheels. There are intructions in the powder coat can. Buy an auto paint sprayer and a used oven and clean the wheels with something like Simple Green before you start.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Y'all are making this waaaaay too complicated. Use an old working electric oven and powder coat the wheels. There are intructions in the powder coat can. Buy an auto paint sprayer and a used oven and clean the wheels with something like Simple Green before you start.
What can be less-complicated than dropping off your rims at a local powdercoaters, then fetching them two days later?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote