Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
roadkill0000
Registered Member

Talking what do you get out of riding?

This goes out too anyone who rides a motorcycle. I want to focus on 2 primary types of bikes, sport and cruisers.

I feel that people who ride sport bikes generally are more concerned with getting their speed. The feeling of going fast I assume is the #1 reason you would get a sport bike. Also being able to outperform everything else on the road is the other one.

For cruisers its a whole different story. Its not how fast you get there, but how you get there. cruiser is a more layed back style where you can stretch out and absorb your surroundings.

This is my guess for both. I am getting my first motorcycle running soon, a cruiser, and wanted to know why people buy the type of bike they own. Im curious because 1. im 20 years old and everyone my age wants a sport bike, and 2. I want to understand the different motives to getting their type of bike and not the other.

let me hear from yah. thx
roadkill0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I think you've got the idea with how you've described the two types of bikes. However, you're missing a universe of other types of bikes; many of which "specialize" in a specific area, but others that are excellent at a variety of tasks. Just a few include: Sport Touring, Dual Sport, Naked/Standard, Motard, and more. Take some time and read up on those before you decide. It's a great time to get into bikes, there are so many to choose from.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

After over 40 years of riding I prefer naked standard bikes by far. They are the most comfortable, as fast as any when ridden competently and are capable of doing any sort of riding task short of serious dirt biking. I'd recommend a Honda 750 Nighthawk or a Suzuki SV650 for a new rider over any cruiser or sportbike. You are dealing with a lot of performance potential with a couple of bikes that will humiliate any automobile. Especially those overrated "world's greatest driving machines".
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Roadkill,

Don't get too stuck on your characterisations. Just as every person is an induvidual, every rider has their own style. There are a heck of a lot of folks that have 'Sport' bikes that never exceed the posted speed limit; just as their are a lot of folks on 'Cruisers' that seldom fail to observe the posted speed limit.

As KM said, there is a plethora of fine bikes out there. You need to determine what you want the bike to do, then find the one that can do it, and is also pleasing to your eye and wallet.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Follow your heart and go against the grain, as long as thats what you want. Just because your young doesnt mean you have to get a sport bike. Hell Iam 40yrs old and would love to own a cruiser but I need to fill my garage first with a 1098,desmodeci,RS250,RC45,NC30,GSXR400,RMZ250,CRF5 0.Just to name a few.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default what do you get out of riding?

Sanity.

And Chicks Dig a guy with scars...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

what do you get out of riding?

40mpg. Thank you- I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your bartenders and wait staff.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

You cant lean a cage
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
You cant lean a cage
Actually, I knew this guy in high school with a VW Karmann Ghia that used to... never mind.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

What do I get out of riding?...everything. It's how I get around. I now have a touring bike because with the saddlebags I can buy groceries and haul things without having to take my SUV and I'm more comfortable in cooler wetter weather with a windshield to hide behind.

The only time I drive is if I'm doing something that for whatever reason makes it impracticle to ride, the rest of the time I take my bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote