Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default Well...

My cousin is back from Iraq on leave and the family has been spending some time with him. So a couple nights ago we took a ride around the power cuts. It was alot of fun and will probably be the last motorcycle fun I have till next spring.

It started to rain on our way back and the mud got pretty nasty, I hit a mud puddle that happened to have a broken beer bottle in it and blew out my front tire. Got tossed about 5-10 feet and landed on my left hip. I thought I was all right until I stood up.

When I got up I immediately felt a very strong burning sensation and I couldn't put weight on my left leg with out it getting bad enough for me to fall over. I got on the back of one of the other bikes and rode the last quarter mile or so back to camp.

Considering my lack of medical insurance i went to see a friend of my aunts, he's a PCP and he gave a preliminary diagnosis. He believes I have something called bursitis of the hip. He told me that it was probably very minor until I hit my hip off the ground and that aggravated it.

So until I can get back too the doctor I'm not aloud to walk long distances, carry heavy objects or stand for long periods of time. As i was leaving he added "you'll probably want to stay off dirt bikes till you can get a cortisone shot."

Its rather upsetting because I can't do alot of things I'm used too. Can't do work around the house, can't go to work (i walk 3 miles to work after a bus ride), I'm going to have to take two or three buses to work. My job is standing most of the day so I don't know whats going to happen there.

My parents have offered to pay for me to go to the doctor and to get the shot, but as for right now (and the last 24 hours) I'm confined to a chair or a bed....Sucks. not to mention, theres nothing o TV and the Pens lost last night.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Sorry to hear that. Could have been worse. A lot worse. Count your blessings and stock up on the pain pills and hard liquor. In a few weeks you'll be healed up enough to ride that 'ol dirty bike again. Good luck, and can I interest you in some file corn squeezins?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well, i have lots of asprin, advil, aleve and lots of whiskey. I'm going to have a good drunk and stoned night. Tomorrow Brandy is driving me to work so we're going to see what we can do.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I hope it heals quickly.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

yeah good luck, coulda' been a lot worse

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

At least you didn't end up with a steel screw holding your bones together.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Yea, believe me, being tossed is always (done it a couple other times on trails) feels like time is stopped, weird adrenaline full feeling. I'm alright, as soon as the fiance got home I felt better, just being stuck in a chair for 99% of the day by myself was killing me, nothing on TV except Law and Order and Spongebob.... both of which I've seen before lol.

I'm very glad I was wearing a helmet and everything because honestly, other than my hip i dont have a scratch, neither do any of my cloths, other than mud and a little bit of damage to my denim jacket, big deal right? still have my skin and my brain.

Oh well, life is good, just got a free car(sure its a '00 caravan but it works.) I don't think I could be upset at anything right now.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I can offer some encouragement; I have a pretty bad case of bursitis in my right hip. It can really hurt like crap, especially after long rides with my legs bent on the pegs. However, I just get the cortisone shot, and I'm good to go for months. The shot's a *****, they use a giant needle and hose your skin with numbing stuff to jamb it in, but within a few minutes after the shot, it's all over and the pain is gone. And, (don't tell anyone this please) the cortisone enhances that certain part of the male body. That's right...that certain part...you know, wink wink nudge nudge. Not really.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The key to this situation is to think about all the parts of your body that don't hurt. That and drinking heavily usually works pretty well.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The key to this situation is to think about all the parts of your body that don't hurt.
There's a lot of truth to this!

It also helps to consider an injury just part of life, and an interesting part at that - it's something that you can experience and move through. That may sound weird, but looking at things in a neutral way (as opposed to a negative way, by being angry or worried) can help you tolerate the situation. I currently am mending four broken ribs, and that philosophy helped quite a bit for the first three days or so!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote