Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Cliffhanger
Registered Member

Default Just getting into riding...question about engines

I'm just getting into the motorcycle thing but Im a little confused about the engines. Whats are the differences between a 250cc, a 750cc, and a 1500cc?
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
sachiwilson

Those indicate the "displacement" (cc = cubic centimeters) of the engine, which in turn is a rough guide to power. The bigger the displacement, the more power the engine will make (given the same engine design).

Given your question, you should be starting out on a very small engine. 250 cc is plenty for a beginner bike, and it can be adequate even for an expert.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

(i know you said "Same engine design" but I'm not sure if he will understand...)

When considering power you also have to consider a number of other things. The number of cylinders matters greatly to the power, power delivery and feel of the engine. A kawasaki Ninja ZX-6(600cc four cylinder) is alot more powerful than a Ninja 650 (650cc two cylinder.) The 650 is alot more appropriate for a first bike, though Sachi is right a 250 or possible a 500 twin would be a better choice.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote