Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   American Supercamp Riding School Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9541-american-supercamp-riding-school-review.html)

Administrator 09-17-2008 03:58 PM

American Supercamp Riding School Review

Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article American Supercamp Riding School Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

MOKE1K 09-18-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by administrator (Post 193852)
Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article American Supercamp Riding School Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

This is by far the best way to learn how to back a sportbike into corner. Didnt read the Article wonder if D.Walker is still teaching?

Cheesebeast 09-18-2008 01:33 PM

Yes, Danny still teaches/runs the show. The only change of significance to American Supercamp is they have very recently gone from Honda to Yamaha bikes.

I bought a supermoto bike mostly because of the fun I had at American Supercamp. The second I kick my supermoto to life my IQ drops in half. My bike is plated for the street (the state I live in cares about some things, like dog licenses and stumpage fees- but not about registering dirt bikes for street abuse).

I have had to look local law enforcement in the eye and inform them that no, I didn't know how fast I was going. My bike doesn't have a speedometer!

DonS 09-19-2008 01:43 PM

I think I already know the answer but...

Is this beneficial to street/supersport riders?

Cheesebeast 09-20-2008 07:21 AM

You betcha it is beneficial. Sometimes on the street you need to change direction, not in a graceful "C" arc but more of a "<" sharp angle. Supercamp teaches a physical style of riding that will tell you a lot about your limits.

It is difficult to find those limits on a street bike. At least, I am not going to loan you mine while you try to discover just how tight of a corner you can make...

Additionally, the track applications of the style of riding (backing it into a corner) are discussed in the course. Videos of races show the techniques being used, performed by people with names you would recognize.

Lastly, if you are a supersport rider and you discover yourself having to take a gravel road you might find the course pays for itself in rapid fashion. Where I live we have a lot of dirt and gravel roads. I am a lot more comfortable with a street tire shod bike squirming around underneath me now. Also, the rear end breaking loose on a sand sprinkled curve is something that happens to us all eventually. I exercise more throttle control now. Sure, I am still ham-fisted, but less so and that is PROGRESS.

The single most disturbing thing I discovered in the class is that there are people out there who are having more fun than I am. Get dirty!

sfcdjevans 09-20-2008 10:54 AM

So how hard is this on the riders right leg? I have reasons for asking.

Cheesebeast 09-22-2008 07:22 AM

I would guess the workload to be about 75% on your left leg and 25% on your right. The right leg tends to stay closer to the bike as you are operating the rear brake with that leg. Getting the technique down will help to minimize injury- you should be steering the bike with your inner thighs.

I have a bad right ankle so I wore my Oxtar TCS boots. They are not motocross boots, which would be overkill in this case. The benefit to a "street" or "track" boot is they would have smooth soles. This will help to skim across the surface without digging in.

If you have a trick knee then I would advise wearing a brace. In the beginning your technique will be lousy and you could dig a boot in, which could lead to you getting tangled up in the bike as you fall. Once the technique starts to stick if the bike washes out underneath you you will discover yourself essentially sitting on top of the fallen bike- not tangled up.

If you cannot bear any weight on your right leg then I would probably pass on this style of riding. There will be times when you are supporting the weight of the bike on that leg. Fortunately, the bikes in the class are very lightweight- I would guesstimate about 175 pounds or so.

sfcdjevans 09-22-2008 03:44 PM

This getting old crap is starting to wear on me. Hmm I'm looking at the third and maybe final knee surgery. Guess maybe I'll just go hang out with the local folks so I can say I'm cool, if they'll let me.

Thanks for the info.