Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
eal5683
Registered Member

Default Question about an ad

I recently got this email from a guy about a bike I have for sale in cycle trader. It sounds pretty bogus to me, but I thought maybe someone would have an opinion for me. What do you think? I have copied it below.
thanks, emily

[b]Hello ,
Thanks for your reply . After your mail I got in touch with my client on the details of your reply to our enquiry on the bike's condition at the AD and evaluation of your ad it is satisfactory to him.
He really commended your bike from its features in the advert and has instructed me to carry on with the sales at the price of $13,000 without negotiating further,since the bike is still for sale and in good condition as described by the advert.
I am therefore happy to tell you that I have concluded w ith my client and he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction, He said I should let you know that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $20,600 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him.
Due to companys policy this payment has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashiers check,this amount is expected to in part cover both the shipping and any other expences that might accrue in the course of this transaction ,so you are required to deduct the cost of your bike which is $13,000 when payment gets to you and refund balance which is $7600 to my client's shipper,who will come for inspection/pickup for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up
(of bike & signing of title papers).
Confirm this and forward your....

LEGAL NAMES.....

ADDRESS.......

PHONE NUMBER
For payment to be made out to you as soon as possible.
All oth er information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due course.
Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated. ,

Respectfully,

Mr Long
eal5683 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Do it man. Sounds like a great deal for you. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Anyone who does anything but look at your bike and give you your money BEFORE you deliver it is trying to scam you. This email says basically that he wants to send you a check for $20,600 and that you should send him $7600 change before the check clears. LOL! How do people fall for this crap? Or maybe they just want your actual address so they can come and steal it.

I just got an email from Togo saying that there's a guy who died there who left me $20 million and I only need to send them all my personal information to get the $. But I have to do it right away!

BTW, the guy who sent you this email wouldn't happen to be named "Klazy Ken" would he?

The semi-literate legalese in any email is a dead giveaway anyhow since legal business is only conducted by US Mail.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You had to blow it, didn't you?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You had to blow it, didn't you?
When those "Ethiopian Prince needs to transfer the sum of ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS to the US" emails were going around, I hooked a sucker and had him going for almost 2 months! It was a riot, I had a fake divorce, my dog died and we bar-b-qued him, on and on. When I finally told the guy I had been pulling his chain, he just couldn't believe it. I wish I'd saved those emails, they were hysterical.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Tell 'em it's a cash-only transaction and see if you ever hear from them again.

Or maybe you could give the ripper,,,errr I mean the shipper, I bogus check of your own.

You won't have a bike, or any money, but at least you'll have partially ripped them off too!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's a scam Emily, plain and simple. Anytime you get one of these "my agent recommends" BS just delete it.

Think to yourself, why on earth would someone send you a check for $20 k when you're asking $13k, then expect you to send back $7k ? You don't get something for nothing dear, very little in life is free.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ken, you were just trying to prove that P.T. Barnum was correct!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Are people STILL falling for this scam? That's amazing.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Ken, you were just trying to prove that P.T. Barnum was correct!
Well, to be completely honest: when I put the '77 Low Rider on the Web for sale, the first email I got was from a buyer representative who was "extremely interested." I actually got excited and wrote back. But, by the end of the day, I had 5 of the same type of emails, so the light went on. Then it was 5-10 of the same stupid emails a day.

Interestingly, the actual buyer from Japan came to me via a broker up in Oregon. She called out of the blue and said "I have a buyer in Japan." Of course I told them to bring cash, which the guy who flew in from Tokyo did.