Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2008 SYM RV 250 Review

Original Article:
2008 SYM RV 250 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 SYM RV 250 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Nice. It really does seem to be a well thought-out and executed machine. Steve, did you test-ride the scooter at night? How was the actual "quality" of light? some bikes have lots and lots of lights on the front of them, but because nobody actually thought to try-out the machine at night, they really don't "light the way" very well, and just pyss-off oncoming traffic with glare.

And so far as "one piece cylinder head" - what do they mean by that? So far as I can remember, most-every engine I've worked-on has only "one piece" for the head (with the exception of a few GM OHC engines huge PITA to work on too!). Are they saying that it's cast-integral with the cylinder block?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Nevermind on that cylinder-head question - did a bit of digging and found an es'sploded diagram of it here: http://www.sym-usa.com/pdf/parts_rv250.pdf

Are Carter Bros in Alabama the only Dealer for these so far? Or does SYM have plans to expand, and use Carter for their primary distributorship?

(I know, I know - questions you probably don't have the answers to, sorry man!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

What's with all the good questions? Sheesh...
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
What's with all the good questions? Sheesh...
Nice signature link you got there.

And the AR you have in your Avatar looks exactly like the one I used to have...and curse at repeatedly.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 09-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
TheScooterScoop
Registered Member

Default Howdy!

Good find on that diagram.

As for the second question. Carter Bros is in Alabama and they are acting as the importer/distributor for SYM. SYM approached them because of their long history of distributing Karts in the US. The SYM dealer network is growing, but they are still VERY early in their expansion. A much younger brand in the USA than Kymco, the number 1 Taiwanese 2-wheeler manufacturer.

SYM is in the process of revamping their website. Should have their dealer list updated soon (I hope).

Cheers!
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Nevermind on that cylinder-head question - did a bit of digging and found an es'sploded diagram of it here: http://www.sym-usa.com/pdf/parts_rv250.pdf

Are Carter Bros in Alabama the only Dealer for these so far? Or does SYM have plans to expand, and use Carter for their primary distributorship?

(I know, I know - questions you probably don't have the answers to, sorry man!)
TheScooterScoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Nice signature link you got there.

And the AR you have in your Avatar looks exactly like the one I used to have...and curse at repeatedly.
Ugh, I wish I had an AR to curse at. However being a full time student means no disposable firearms cash. And, living where I do poses all sorts of problems. If you wanna elaborate more on yours, I'd love to hear.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
TheFox
Founding Member

Quote:
Ugh, I wish I had an AR to curse at. However being a full time student means no disposable firearms cash. And, living where I do poses all sorts of problems. If you wanna elaborate more on yours, I'd love to hear.
Say, where are you a student at in Chicago? I'm a student in Chicago.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Ugh, I wish I had an AR to curse at.
You must like Urals and Jawas too then. The AR-15 is the Yugo of the arms world. You can hear the recoil spring go "sproing" in the stock when you fire one. The later ones are a bit better than the old ones but the basic design guarantees that the thing will foul at some point. There's still no piston in the gas operation mechanism. Field stripping one during a fire fight was a real joy.

Typical of the govt, they've chosen a slightly upgraded AR as the "new" combat rifle. There's still no piston in the gas operation mechanism. Not surprisingly it, had the worst performance of the new rifles the Army tested. But the money will stay where it is ensuring good retirement jobs for the Generals. Gotta keep them priorities straight!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Mine was a very light and very accurate Bushmaster. But, I had feeding problems, ejecting problems, and mags (at the time) were complete crap unless you bought really expensive mags and then they were only passable.

When it worked, it worked really well. Unfortunately it was extremely tempermental and unreliable. In the end I looked at it as something I just couldn't trust to defend myself with and that is how I look at all my firearms. So I sold it at a gunshow through one of those extemely evil loopholes.

If you are looking for a fun military style firearm I would recommend a FN-FAL (cheaper, more reliable and good, cheap hi-cap mags), an SAR-1 (it's an AK variant, very cheap, reliable, cheap ammo and good, cheap mags) or a Springfield M1 (More expensivethan an AR, pricier mags, more expensive ammo, but reliable and accurate, and pretty neat looking).

If price is your limit here, I would go with an SAR-1. You can get one between $300 and $500 depending on reciever and country or origin.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote