Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
JessPK
Registered Member

Default Accidents

Hey you guys, as I was coming home today from hangin' w/ my bf I saw the fresh end of a motorcycle accident with the guys from the car panicking hovering over the motorist and the cops just entering the scene. Not sure exactly what happened, all I know is it didn't end too well. A bit static in the head now but I won't let it bother me enough to get my permit. I was wondering what accidents (minor or major) have you gotten into over your period of riding, what was going through your mind, and how did you get over it?

Be safe and keep riding
-Jess

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Accidents are what seperate a true motorcyclist from the rest. After I went down and broke both of my wrists, all I could think about was how I was going to fix my bike up and get back on the road. Most people would think about how they would fix it up and get rid of the thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessPK View Post
I was wondering what accidents (minor or major) have you gotten into over your period of riding, what was going through your mind, and how did you get over it?

-Jess
A Q-Tip barreled out of the mall parking lot and into the side of my bike. I was thinking how smooth the asphalt felt againt my face as I was being dragged behind her Toyota. It wasn't; Google "wound debridement" sometime. I had a "skid lid" on that day. I could see the faces of the people in the cars behind me, and I was thinking how upset they looked. One of the witnesses pulled the lady out of her car when she tried to leave before the cops arrived, he told me later he wanted to beat the driver senseless and was mad when it turned out to be an old lady. There have been 2 very minor wrecks; a lowside racing in the rain and a ground loop on my very first bike.

As for getting back on, like LR, it wasn't even a question. The bike was fixed faster than I was, so I epoxied a paint stir stick onto the bottom of my cast so I could shift. The only thing that ever made me seriously consider not riding was the loss of my son's Mom, but I compromised and now wear almost all the gear almost all the time (full face and boots always, jacket and armor jeans when it's under 85F).

Here's a bike accident simulator you can set up at home. You'll need to add a fall off of a 3 story building to get the full effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike accident simulation.jpg (4.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Jess,

As the philosopher says, "Sh!t Happens"

We've had several threads on riding and "Risk Management." It boils down to whether riding is important enough to you to face the increased risks.

I had a head-on with an out-of-control Subaru up on the 'Dragon. I couldn't get away, so I aimed right at the softest part of his car - the middle of the front end. Ended up with a shattered right radius (arm bone) and a seriously screwed-up wrist. Add the bruises. I came out of it in relatively great shape. Bike and car were totaled.

Credit the safety gear. Full helmet, JR armored jacket, jeans, boots and gloves.

Note: There are a lot of accidents in town that, while the 'fault' of the car, are caused by the way the biker is operating the bike. I offer two common examples:

1) The bike is going a lot faster than everyone else (regardless of the posted speed limit), and

2) The bike is steaming down the road on the far right side of the right lane. In the gutter, as it were. Riding there, he is almost invisible to people trying to pull out onto the street.

So, the cliche', "The best defense is a good offense" definitely applies to the road.

HTH, pr

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When I was 16 some dip**** nailed me on my RT3 Enduro, knocked my head off the curb and spent a week in the hospital. When I was 38 some green Buick missed a stopsign and tboned me and my street legal YZ490, the bike didn't get a scratch, but I got totalled with broken ribs, broken scapula, collar bone, ruined right knee. There have been lots of crashes off-road, that I walked away from with a few scrapes & bruises. The last one was when I was 48 some ahole in an SUV rear-ended me, destroyed my Cityx, and paralyzed me for life. I wouldn't change a thing, I had 35 years of being in the saddle every day, but it had to end sometime, just glad I'm not dead. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I've had a couple, when I was in my 20's I had bolted a chrome front fender on to a springer front end. Me and my 1st wife went over some train tracks and the fender slipped down and locked the front end and down we went. The front end was twisted badly but we walked away with bumps and bruises. We hitchhiked home to get our pick up to haul the bike home. I traded my S&W 9mm for an 8 over Superglide front end that a friend had laying around, picked up a used front wheel with disc and caliper at a local shop for $100. and was back on the road within a few days.

The second time was 3 years ago, I was on my way home from work when a car load of kids made a lane change into the car next to me, it spun out and hit me punting me and my Triumph down the freeway. The bike was totaled and I slammed my hand and elbow into the ground and twisted my back badly. My JR Ballistic jacket was abraded through in a few places but it, my helmet boots and gloves kept me from breaking bones or soft tissue damage. The first thing I did when I got home from the hospital was get on my Thruxton and ride it around the neighborhood a few times.

If riding is in your blood nothing will stop you but physical limitations, I simply can't imagine not having motorcycles in my life as long as I am able to ride them.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Ive sprained my neck (near break) had a numb spot on my forehead for almost a year. Dislocated thumb, broken ribs, sprained ankle, water on the knee, more elbows knee's and forearms scrapped off that I care to remember. This was all on dirt. Luckily haven't been down on the street but more close calls than I can count. Subsequently I ride with my Roadcrafer, full face helmet, boots and gloves every time. I scan as far a head as possible, open my peripheral vision to take in all I can see and assume every car in my path is going to kill me. I have a powerful bike with ABS, so hopefully I can squirt out of the way or stop in time or not put myself in the situation to begin with. Accidents happen, Ive prepared myself the best I can, but I cant see living without a bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Wrong attitude here. There are no accidents. There is only pilot error. Any other attitude in a bike rider is suicidal.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Riding a bike for anyone is a risk, practicing and persaverance makes you avoid most situations but its no guarantee. It took me around 5yrs street riding and roadracing to feel confident that I could avoid most anything. I have been down many times on the steet, more times than I care to count but have only broke one bone, well two.

In 1998 I got pushed out of my lane and survived riding in the gutter for a bit, than highsided off the curb. Shattered both bones in my right forearm. Bad thing was the bones never came out of the skin. If you ever break any bone its better if it breaks the skin. That sucka swelled up quickly and I got whats called compartment syndrome. All good now though and still doing trackdays and getting ready to race this coming year. Dont sweat accidents you see, that will only make you more paranoid.Trust in your skill and practice until perfect.

After a skin graph from the leg this is what it looked like just weeks after, narly huh?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 09-09-2008 at 03:46 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote