Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
ivory
Registered Member

Default What can a 250cc do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, all. I need to get some information from someone other than my husband. I have been riding bikes since before I had my drivers license. Out in the country it helped my parents that I could get to my piano lesson and band by myself. I started out on a Honda 50cc that my parents won in a raffle (no kidding). It was perfect for a kid. Than I graduated all the way up to a 125. So I am used to small bikes, small cars, all that.

I haven't had a bike in years, and am thinking a Honda Rebel would be nice for me. I need something I can zip around Charlotte, NC with. I also want something I can ride approx 100 miles away from home on the interstate.

Is a 250cc big enough to ride wound tight for 100 miles? Or is it too small, too much a strain on a little engine? My husband is a die hard, broken wing Harley rider. He how has a Fat Boy, before that an Ultra Classic dress hog. He has his ideas about what I need, and I have mine. I will appreciate your opinions.
ivory is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

A 250 will be fine, BUT it depends on which one! The cruiser models like the Rebel tend to be a bit wimpier, and although it would be fine around Charlotte, you may not enjoy it much on the interstate (although a friend of mine has one and rides all over with us.) If you were to get a Kawasaki EX250 (the small Ninja) you'd have a perfectly capable bike.

Speaking as another woman, get what YOU want, not what your husband thinks you need.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

And don't forget to wear an old arcrew jacket for safety!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well, if you've been riding all that time why not get a Harley? A nice low Dyna Convertable or Heritage would fit you just fine. I know lots of women who ride the bigger Hawleys, not just Sporties.

But if that makes you unconfortable, a Honda 250 twin is nice too. And with 6 gears they're dang fast!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd say get an EX 500 Ninja instead, physically they're not much bigger but you've got more motor for freeway riding. I started street riding on a 250 Bultaco home made Cafe` Racer, that was a kick in the butt!, I used to carry a baby bottle with some Blendzal in it for when I needed gas. (baby bottles have ML. graduations on them, it was like 150 ML's bean oil per gallon or something like that, I'd fill the tank, note the gallons of gas then calculate how much oil to add)

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

250 Rebel is a liability on the slab, but fine for around town. They will do highway speeds but barely and not be happy about it. If you weigh 90 lbs it may be fine. Buell B-Last would be a slightly better option if you like the naked thing. Though if your looking for a small cruiser then check out the Kawi Vulcan 500 http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=317 which may be a safer option on the slab. Suzuki has the S40 also. Otherwise check out the ninja 250 or the ex 500 mentioned above. Though your hubby may get pissed when your running circles around his Harley on your ninja 250.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote