Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9419-2008-naked-middleweight-comparison-triumph-street-triple-675-vs-aprilia-sl750-shiver.html)

Administrator 09-04-2008 03:28 PM

2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Original Article:
2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Naked Middleweight Comparison: Triumph Street Triple 675 vs. Aprilia SL750 Shiver in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 09-04-2008 04:41 PM

"The Four Horsemen of the Supersports didn’t suffer any losses on the track, as the Daytona wasn’t legal in AMA roadrace competition during the past three years."

And that, dear friends, fully explains the train wreck that is AMA racing.

Buzglyd 09-04-2008 05:52 PM

I'm a fan of Aprilia's stuff and Vtwins but the Shiver seems like such a cheap Brutale knockoff. The plastic is and frame is almost identical.

Aprilia seems like it's going the route of the Japanese by copying designs and blatantly lying about dry weights.

I think I'll take a triple.

sarnali2 09-04-2008 06:20 PM

The Triumph wins hands down, why even test the rest?

baldheadeddork 09-04-2008 09:06 PM

I gotta wonder how the SV650N would fare in this competition? It's not down on power much compared to the Shiver, and when you factor in its much lighter weight it should be competitive. If you include price (three grand less than the Aprilia) it could be a huge upset.

The Street Triple is a Daytona front end from being perfect. For the price its a great bike. I'd rather have the SV and $2500 to play around in the garage, but I'm weird.

acecycleins 09-05-2008 07:23 AM

The Daytona 675 has been eligible for the FX class since it's inception. There are two privateers that run them on a part time schedule. Also, World Superstock and BSB allow them to run.

Pete_Brissette 09-05-2008 09:09 AM

Indeed

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 192916)
The Daytona 675 has been eligible for the FX class since it's inception. There are two privateers that run them on a part time schedule. Also, World Superstock and BSB allow them to run.

I stand corrected. Perhaps it's their virtual absence from that class and actual absence from all the other classes in AMA that caught me out.

I do know the rest of the world is more open to competition. :rolleyes:

seruzawa 09-05-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 192916)

Difficult to run a triple in AMA Supersport when apparently each bike is required to have the same bore and stroke, cam grind, injection mapping, illegal crankshaft, exhaust system......

MOKE1K 09-05-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 192942)
Difficult to run a triple in AMA Supersport when apparently each bike is required to have the same bore and stroke, cam grind, injection mapping, illegal crankshaft, exhaust system......

Good stuff in here today!

12er 09-05-2008 10:43 AM

AMA is dead anyway so what does it matter. Next year we'll all be watching lawn mower racing instead.