Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

While we dont as much rain as Sarnali does the oil, lawn clippings and other muck make ABS a godsend for commuting here in the SF bay area. Once it does rain the roads are slicker than Denver snow as my old roommate pointed out. Tons of traffic (oil drops) and clay dust makes for some very slick goop with the slightest bit of rain. When in bumper to bumper 85mph traffic and needing to keep from eating a bumper its nice to only have to worry about grabbing a handful and pointing it in the right direction. That and I will not ride hard enough in the canyons to need or want to "back it in." Track is a different story, but we'll see what the 09 or 10 cbr has in store if the rumors of linked brakes are true.

Last edited by 12er : 09-04-2008 at 03:56 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
silverpenhouse
Registered Member

Default Thank you

Thank you all for your replies.

The bike is under warranty for 2 years, so I guess the next time I will have them check the mileage as well.
silverpenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm not sure your mileage is that far off really. It should improve as the bike breaks in but you're right around what I would consider normal. Bikes aren't like cars where you get better highway mileage than in town, generally with bikes higher RPM's equal higher fuel consumption, I average around 43 in normal riding but I can knock it down to high 30's pretty quick riding aggrressivly, try just poking around at lower RPMs and see what happens, also increase your tire air pressure by a few lb's and make sure the chain is well lubed and at the looser end of the adjustment range. All those things will affect your MPG.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
While we dont as much rain as Sarnali does the oil, lawn clippings and other muck make ABS a godsend for commuting here in the SF bay area. Once it does rain the roads are slicker than Denver snow as my old roommate pointed out. Tons of traffic (oil drops) and clay dust makes for some very slick goop with the slightest bit of rain. When in bumper to bumper 85mph traffic and needing to keep from eating a bumper its nice to only have to worry about grabbing a handful and pointing it in the right direction. That and I will not ride hard enough in the canyons to need or want to "back it in." Track is a different story, but we'll see what the 09 or 10 cbr has in store if the rumors of linked brakes are true.

Bumper to bumper at 85 and wet clay dust on the roads???? you're a braver man than me, my friend....

The nice thing about it raining so much here is that it keeps the roads clean. After the first few days when winter sets in the roads are clean enough to eat off. The last few years they've been using a chemical de-icer on the roads when it freezes instead of sand which is good because the sand builds up in corners and can be a real problem, bad because I don't know how corrosive this stuff will be over the long term. It doesn't seem to be slick at all and washes off with the rain so I assume it's not going to be too much of an issue. Better than salt, that's for sure.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote