Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2008 Vespa S 150 Review

Original Article:
2008 Vespa S 150 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Vespa S 150 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Steve, I've got your gloves. sorry... no self discipline. You've made me stop and consider a scooter, again. I'm conflicted, should I be happy or sad? Zod will solve all my problems.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
DonM
Founding Member

Default S is for stripper?

I don't see any features to brag about.
Open pockets? Solo seat? Now,I know why it is so light.
High visibility paint is a good thing.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
TheScooterScoop
Registered Member

You've got a pair of Icon Pursuit gloves too? I love 'em. Mine are a bit old and worn and my Velcro has just about had it, but they're top notch! Though, a friend of mine suggested I try a pair of Hatch police gloves. I might, they're cheap enough.
Hatch CoolTac Motor Officer Glove, hatch officer gloves, hatch duty gloves, hatch motor officer gloves

As for the scoot, you really should give one a go... just put around the dealership or borrow a friends for the weekend. Might make a fun 2nd bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
Steve, I've got your gloves. sorry... no self discipline. You've made me stop and consider a scooter, again. I'm conflicted, should I be happy or sad? Zod will solve all my problems.
TheScooterScoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
TheScooterScoop
Registered Member

No, sorry Don. Stripper not included... and with that seat, she'd have to sit in your lap. Very dangerous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I don't see any features to brag about.
Open pockets? Solo seat? Now,I know why it is so light.
High visibility paint is a good thing.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Four strokes suck. Sorry, did I just say that? OK. but my '59 Lambretta would top out at about sixty five.

Why didn't they use the clean burn 2 cycle they invented a few years back? Would have been more in keeping with tradition. But I guess tradition means nothing when it's up against the bottom line.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
DonM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScooterScoop View Post
No, sorry Don. Stripper not included... and with that seat, she'd have to sit in your lap. Very dangerous!
Ok, scooterwussy, since you answered in such a patronizing way, it is time to take a closer look at this cheapened machine designed to get people killed as much as to transport them. Ten inch wheels are too small for road imperfections and to provide gyroscopic stability. Further control problems are introduced by the narrow handlebars and lack of steering rake. The engine power is just enough to get the rider into serious situations with automobiles and the handling slow enough to prevent escape. Open storage pockets mean anything you put into them go flying when you hit a bump the short travel suspension can't handle. From a consumer point of view a windscreen is a must on this type of transportation, as is a small top box or rack. And yes, that single seat is for the pilot who would rather take care of things on his own rather than with a partner.

Here is a video of a reporterette who has taken to heart all of your clever marketing and almost kills herself.
YouTube - News Reporter Tracy Butler Crashes a Vespa Motor Scooter
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
TheScooterScoop
Registered Member

Default Wha?

Patronizing? I was just making a reference to your "S is for stripper?" title. I thought it was funny, but... what does a scooterwussy know?

Are scooters designed to get people killed? No, more people kill themselves by mishandling overpowered bikes. It's a fact my dear Donny.

No, 10" wheels are not great, I'd prefer 16's for a daily rider, but thousands of skilled (and well balanced) riders find no problems covering road imperfections with 'em. I've done it for years without a lay down. Narrow handle bars? No more narrow than any other sportbike. The steering rake is formulated to work with the overall geometry of the steering configuration, but I'm sure you knew there is a calculation for optimum steering geometry and determining rake. Can't just tack a set of chopper forks on the front of a Vespa and say that it'll control better.

The engine power is PERFECT for inner-city riding. I never go faster than 50 in the city and the Vespa S tops out at 59. I wouldn't use it for regular inter city rides... for that I'd get something REALLY powerful like a 400cc scooter.

The open storage pockets are a great place to put things like gloves. You put the gloves on when you ride so there's nothing left to fall out of them. For valuables, I drop them under the seat (can't do that with a motorcycle).

Windscreens are for people who either don't use a full face helmet / goggles, ride at high speeds, have an aversion to wind, OR ride on roads with lots of flying junk (bugs and the like). I wouldn't say it's a must, especially on a scooter that cruises at 45 or so. The only time I duck behind a shield is when I'm doing 50+ for extended periods.

The single seat is for the guy who rides beside his partner (girls are just as capable you know). A single seat is also just fine for a rider who uses his/her bike to get to work on a daily basis.

As for poor Tracy Butler... she should have taken a Motorcycle Safety Course before she ever offered to pull that stunt... or at least put a few hours of road time under her tush.

Keep the shiny side up!
Steve

Last edited by TheScooterScoop : 07-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
jjn
Registered Member

This model,S150, is my favorite Vespa model. I've looked at them and they seem very well made. Have not ridden one though. When my wife wanted a bigger scooter than her Honda 49cc Metro that she rode for 2-3 years, I did the research and we bought a 2008 SYH HD200. The Vespa seems like a great scooter, but at something like $4600+ out the door,and with only a one year warranty (Sym and Kymco have two year), we went with the SYM. The SYM though really only a 172cc, is a relative hot rod. Four valve head, ceramic coated ,cylinder.It will easily cruise at 55-65 mph.

At the time we bought Carter Bros were still operating.
jjn is offline   Reply With Quote