Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You can actually feel the ABS kick in and then pulse at the lever or pedal. ABS never saved me once, since I never had it on any bike I ever owned. I did hit the ground overbraking and tucking the front on my CBX many years ago, but that really showed me that I needed to learn proper braking. Mashing the brakes with ABS just doesn't suit me.
I must admit with my linked ABS I have gotten a bit lazy. But thats not whats almost caused me to go down. Sand spills, Antifreeze and a car leaving a lake of oil have though. Nothing like being hard on the brakes and seeing an Exxon Valdez spill appear out from under the car in front of you. Must admit the first time the ABS kicked in hard I almost ripped the seat cover. Firm brake lever and suddenly no brakes with a rapidly approaching rear bumper. Then presto, back on hard.

Saw a sweet CBX on Craigslist the other day, always liked my Gym teachers ride in high school. Nothing like 3ft of chrome pipes across the front, thought about mailing you the link. But figured the Bandito is doing it for ya.

Buz, the 15's offer a great contact patch, make that two! They were the only brakes I had on my old Mini bike. Ironically my foot matched my age for a good number of years growing up. "How old are you son?" "Uh, let me take off my shoe." Learnt to count to 20 that way too...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
It's the Longride FSTACHE model!
Which is the base model. You can always upgrade to the FU-STACHE.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
You can actually feel the ABS kick in and then pulse at the lever or pedal. ABS never saved me once, since I never had it on any bike I ever owned. I did hit the ground overbraking and tucking the front on my CBX many years ago, but that really showed me that I needed to learn proper braking. Mashing the brakes with ABS just doesn't suit me.
You can? You mean the chattering of the ABS has a different character than the normal chattering of the HD brakes?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I almost pulled the trigger a few times getting a CBX. I just think it wouldn't be the same as how I remembered it back in 1979. Still one of the best looking and best sounding bikes ever though.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger a few times getting a CBX. I just think it wouldn't be the same as how I remembered it back in 1979. Still one of the best looking and best sounding bikes ever though.
The problem with 70s and 80s bikes is that we usually remember them fondly because they were better than previous bikes. Going back to them is often a disappointment. For example my '91 600lb GSX1100G handled worlds better than my 570lb '82GS1100L or my '80 Goldwing. Newer is better most of the time. I always had a soft spot for the old CB450 which was a bike of twice the quality of the old CB350. I rode a friend's well maintained CB450 a few years back and noted the terrible handling right away. Same same a '73 XS650, very crude. There are always exceptions but that rule proves true most of the time by far. Nostalgia is best not revisited IMHO.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
There was a hot rod show down on the beach last week and this guy kept riding up and down the coast highway on a 85 Yamaha RZ350. I was checking that out more than the classic cars! It was loud like my RD but I didn't see anything fall off.

I might have to get me one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
the 15's offer a great contact patch, make that two! They were the only brakes I had on my old Mini bike. Ironically my foot matched my age for a good number of years growing up. "How old are you son?" "Uh, let me take off my shoe." Learnt to count to 20 that way too...
Didn't a relative of yours make the news here a few weeks back?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Great review. I'm still over here soaking up rays, we'll be heading back over the hills tomorrow. I'm sure missing my '08 after listening to just about every motorcycle in Washington state ride past the Hotel...The ABS chatters on mine too but it stops the bike in the wet faster and smoother than I can and that's a lifesaver around here. These are excellent bikes and if you're looking for a new touring bike you can't go wrong with one, if you're a total cheapskate like me you can buy an antique POS '08 and save a couple of bucks You just have to put up with warm pipes, again a plus around here and the old style frame.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Which is the base model. You can always upgrade to the FU-STACHE.
I need to borrow LR's stache and shave me up a skullet! I'm goin' the the Neckcar race today in Fontana!

Boogity boogity boogity! Let's go racin' boys!

Now where's that wife beater........?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You'll have a good time. Them boys know how to par-tay!