Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Star V-Max Review/Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9345-2009-star-v-max-review-test.html)

BrowningBAR 11-03-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 197015)
The question today is "Why do metric cruisers cost so much?" That's the mystery.

It's Harley's fault!

seruzawa 11-03-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 197016)
It's Harley's fault!

Ah yes, Non. Have you finished preparing the reconverted Bandersnitch-haulers for the forced relocation of Planet Houston's population to the Eros frozen hydrogen mines? We'll be needing them soon.

sarnali2 11-03-2008 11:42 AM

DUH .......Fuel Costs!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 197015)
The question today is "Why do metric cruisers cost so much?" That's the mystery.

After Kawasaki talked them into running their container ships on those humungo diesels instead of an efficient steam turbine they found out they were getting about 2 feet to the gallon, and half of that was coasting! They had to make the money back somewhere...

seruzawa 11-03-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 197022)
After Kawasaki talked them into running their container ships on those humungo diesels instead of an efficient steam turbine they found out they were getting about 2 feet to the gallon, and half of that was coasting! They had to make the money back somewhere...

So, you are saying that WWII was a devious plot designed so that Japan would lose so it could take the world over economically? There's a place for you at UC Berkely.

The_AirHawk 11-03-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 197024)
So, you are saying that WWII was a devious plot designed so that Japan would lose so it could take the world over economically? There's a place for you at UC Berkely.

No, no, NO. WWII was nothing but a smokescreen allowing the Jews to take-over Japan, Germany, and the United States. They didn't want the UK or France (not that anybody would).

They manipulated the U.S. into provoking Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor, causing us to enter WWII and crushing the Japanese so they could obtain control of it, all while perpetrating their biggest lies about some silly "Final Solution" thing or other, JUST to get their hands on Germany.

Now, the U.S. has been manipulated again by the Jews to attack Afghanistan and Iraq, with Pakistan, Turkey, and Iran next on the list - all for control of their oil and heroin..................

/sarcasm :cool:

newagetwotone 11-03-2008 04:28 PM

For the V-max to Oil and Heroin..... wow... then again is it that much of a change over?

The_AirHawk 11-03-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 197033)
For the V-max to Oil and Heroin..... wow... then again is it that much of a change over?

Did you not catch the "/sarcasm" at the end of it?

:D

sarnali2 11-03-2008 09:35 PM

You've got it all wrong, Germany and Japan realized that to compete they'd need better and more efficient factories. Rather than pay for the demolision and reconstruction themselves they had the US, Brittian and the Soviets do it for them....

Simple economics

Kenneth_Moore 02-28-2009 11:54 AM

I have seen The Beast, and it is...ok.

The local Yahonkazuki dealership had one that you pretty much had to climb over to get in the store today. The sales guy told me a few people had plunked down the $1k deposit and then had to bail on the deal. Apparently Riva Motorsports was decent about it and gave their money back. They have 2.

It's not as monstorous as I had thought. The engine, yes, it is one BIG mothafu<ker. It's quite wide, and hangs out of either side like a Boss Hoss V8. But the rest of the bike seems remarkably normal, sitting on it and standing it up it feels completely average. The fit, finish, and materials are very good; they used a finish on the engine cases and other parts that looks a lot like the new "Granite" engine finish that HD is using, just in a different color. The ergonomics are classic standard, you sit straight up and the bars are right where they should be. The standout part is the digital display on the tank, it does an XBox game routine when you turn the key, thanking you for choosing Yamaha motorcycles and wishing you well on your ride. Turn the key off, and it says "Goodbye, see you next time, thanks for not wrecking me today." And it has a giant shift light that looks like you could use to signal aircraft...it's about the size of the old timing light I used to have; just without the handle.

That dark copper color they use for all sorts of trim looks good; it's a unique color and it looks like it will hold up for years to come. The intake snorkels aren't as dramatic as I expected; with all the hoo-haw about the ancient Japanese polishing technique using cherry blossom petals, I thought it would look really special. It doesn't, might as well be chrome on plastic. There happened to be an old VMax sitting right outside, as well as a BKing, so I did a little mental comparison. 'Ol Max looks old. That frame would be right at home on a Royal Enfield. The BKing looks bigger; especially the tank and forward body parts. This B had 2Bros pipes, so it's rear was almost too small looking.

Of course, the real deal is going to be riding one. They'll have them at the track this week and next in Daytona for test rides I guess; especially if they aren't moving them like they'd hoped. The sales guy told me "we're supposed to sell these at MSRP, but..." I told him I'd see what my insurance guy quoted on one and get back to him. They do not have any BKings for sale...apparently production has been cut. If you want one, I guess you'd better get busy.

Kevin_Duke 02-28-2009 02:11 PM

The B-King didn't even make Suzuki's '09 lineup. That prob says a lot about how well it sold in '08.