Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Blame it on weather. Atmospheric conditions and track conditons could do it. The new bike is heavier, too. They may not have corrected the times for sea level conditons. Many things could explain the e.t.
Or maybe it just sucks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #42
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Apparently Dale Walker couldn't get a Hole Shot (pun intended) that could put the 174hp to full use anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point. What's equally interesting is that Jay Gleason got a 10:33 quarter mile on the 1985 version, and Dale pulled a 10:26 on the '09! That's a lot of time, money, and engineering for a net gain of .17 seconds.

I still want one anyway.
Blame it on weather. Atmospheric conditions and track conditons could do it. The new bike is heavier, too. They may not have corrected the times for sea level conditons. Many things could explain the e.t.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Apparently Dale Walker couldn't get a Hole Shot (pun intended) that could put the 174hp to full use anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point. What's equally interesting is that Jay Gleason got a 10:33 quarter mile on the 1985 version, and Dale pulled a 10:26 on the '09! That's a lot of time, money, and engineering for a net gain of .17 seconds.

I still want one anyway.
There is only one PeeWee Gleason, dude!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #44
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There is only one PeeWee Gleason, dude!
There's a great part of the story when he tells about the first V-Max intro at the MGM in Vegas. He was told to ride the bike onto a stage in front of dealers from across the country, then later do burnouts out back in the parking lot. He told them he thought a burnout on stage would be cool, but the Fire Marshall and the Yamaha execs said no way, and if he did he'd be in big trouble. Apparently they were pretty worried about the bike getting away from him, crashing to the crowd, and the ensuing lawsuits. Of course, he did, and the dealers went absolutely nuts for him and the bike.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #45
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

I'm not very familiar with the circumstances of Gleason's original 10.33 run, but I'd bet he did it during dozens of passes and probably a few clutches. Consider that Motorcyclist's 2003 test shows a 11.3 @ 120 mph run. True, that iteration was down a few ponies from the original, but still. Does anyone know the trap speed of Walker's run?

Also, if you take a look at the video in my test, you'll see that the new Max has a difficult time harnessing all its power, spinning easily all the way through first gear (blame also the shaft drive that doesn't transfer much weight to the rear tire).
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #46
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I'm not very familiar with the circumstances of Gleason's original 10.33 run, but I'd bet he did it during dozens of passes and probably a few clutches. ..Does anyone know the trap speed of Walker's run?

Also, if you take a look at the video in my test, you'll see that the new Max has a difficult time harnessing all its power, spinning easily all the way through first gear...
Quite right Mr. Duke. Gleason admits that he'd been doing 10:40/50 runs all day. The 10:33 run was his best, and (according to Gleason) it remains unbeaten by anyone since. Further, the CW crew fought tire spin; Walker had to launch at only 5500 rpm to keep from lighting up the tire. The 10:26 time was at 135.80 mph, with a 60 foot time at 1.72. Walker said that without the inertia to overcome, if he'd gotten that time to 1.68 seconds, he'd have been doing 9.x times.

Clearly even the slightest mods to this bike are going to put it into 9 second territory.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It doesn't really matter that it's the fastest ever because it never will be. It's too heavy to beat bikes like a Busa ot ZX-14 righ out of the box. Those bikes will walk this thing every time, along with doing everything better that a motorcycle can do. Hopefully the owners of this new V-Max will just be happy with paying 8 grand more for owning something different, because that's about the long and short of it with the new V-Max. It's a nice change to the cookie-cutter bikes currently being made, but this thing has too many shortcomings and is WAY overpriced to be much of anything. Did they ever sell out the first 2500 yet?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #48
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Looking at the number's on the spec sheets this bike is amazing, however once I read the weight and compaired it to that of the previous Vmax, I was perplexed as to how it would feel in person.

Now after the Indianapolis Grand Prix and taking to the saddle I realized what I have already known, never judge a book by its cover. The Vmax feels lighter than the older version excluding what the specs say. Cant wait, I already have two sold.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 11-02-2008 at 06:06 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #49
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Dont agree again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
It doesn't really matter that it's the fastest ever because it never will be. It's too heavy to beat bikes like a Busa ot ZX-14 righ out of the box. Those bikes will walk this thing every time, along with doing everything better that a motorcycle can do. Hopefully the owners of this new V-Max will just be happy with paying 8 grand more for owning something different, because that's about the long and short of it with the new V-Max. It's a nice change to the cookie-cutter bikes currently being made, but this thing has too many shortcomings and is WAY overpriced to be much of anything. Did they ever sell out the first 2500 yet?
Listen, even with your vast knowledge of Motorcycles()you should never judge a bike on paper, until you ride it. This will give you a more accurate real life feel of what its capabilities are.

As far as your claim to it being walked on by a ZX or GSX13 without even riding it, most likley depends on whos in the saddle.

Iam sure their will be no shortage of contestants approaching them at stop lights around the country. But remember something, its not what your riding but how well you ride it that counts. Something you can't read off paper or the internet.

I cant believe so many complain about price. A better argument would be what Harley sells their bike's for. Now thats rediculous.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 11-02-2008 at 07:51 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #50
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It will get walked plain and simple with equal riders. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. A faster bike is a faster bike brah, and the new V-Max isn't as quick or fast as the ZX or Busa.