Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Yamaha Morphous Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9217-2008-yamaha-morphous-review.html)

Administrator 08-13-2008 03:54 PM

2008 Yamaha Morphous Review
 

Original Article:
2008 Yamaha Morphous Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Yamaha Morphous Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

newagetwotone 08-13-2008 07:05 PM

What kind of top speed did you guys get out of one of those?

I just saw one a couple days ago, pretty cool looking thing, sort of like a spaceship on wheels. Turned my fiances head backwards as she spit out "What the hell is that?" When i gave her the make model and told her it was a 250 scooter whacked me for "knowing too much stupid crap."

Hey, well you asked!

sachiwilson 08-13-2008 08:07 PM

Eww.

Someone hit that with an ugly stick.

The_AirHawk 08-13-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

In my tests, we got the Morphous going from 0-60 in 18.41 seconds.
Is that a typo? Surely you mean 8.41 seconds, yes? I've got an '82 Dodge 1/2-ton pickup truck with a 1bbl-carbed Slant Six engine that does better than the number you gave - and I get flipped-off by little old ladies in Honda Accords for "holdin' up traffic" whenever I drive it.

BrowningBAR 08-13-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 191306)
Eww.

Someone hit that with an ugly stick.

Let's be honest, it was hit by an entire ugly tree, not just the stick.

TheScooterScoop 08-13-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 191302)
What kind of top speed did you guys get out of one of those?

I just saw one a couple days ago, pretty cool looking thing, sort of like a spaceship on wheels. Turned my fiances head backwards as she spit out "What the hell is that?" When i gave her the make model and told her it was a 250 scooter whacked me for "knowing too much stupid crap."

Hey, well you asked!

I got her up to 75 mph in my tests, but it felt like there was a little more in there. I'm impressed that you knew what it was. My wife would have smacked me too. ;)

TheScooterScoop 08-13-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 191307)
Is that a typo? Surely you mean 8.41 seconds, yes? I've got an '82 Dodge 1/2-ton pickup truck with a 1bbl-carbed Slant Six engine that does better than the number you gave - and I get flipped-off by little old ladies in Honda Accords for "holdin' up traffic" whenever I drive it.

No... I'm afraid that number is right. You know, scooters are tuned for efficiency not speed. That's why your off-the-shelf Morphous will never touch an off-the-shelf Ninja 250. Having a 4-stroke and CVT doesn't help you pop wheelies either... But when's the last time you had to pop a wheelie on your commute in to work/school?

The fastest, large scooter I've tested so far is the MP3-500, which did a 0-60 in 8.81 seconds. There are faster (see: Tuned), but I haven't tested them.

TheScooterScoop 08-13-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 191309)
Let's be honest, it was hit by an entire ugly tree, not just the stick.

I don't think she's ugly... but then again, my first scooter was a Honda Helix and I thought she was cute (in a retro, Star Trek kinda way).

seruzawa 08-14-2008 07:11 AM

I don't know. I think it has potential. Some faux ray gun nozzles on the front would complete the Buck Rogers motif. It'd make an excellent second bike for Victory Vision owners.

MOKE1K 08-14-2008 07:28 AM

We call it the "sexual rocketship"! At my shop.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM.