Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Madd Hatter
Registered Member

Default Looking for a new sport-oriented touring bike. Suggestions?

I am looking for a bike that can be used as a daily commuter but can go for long trips 2-up comfortably. I am 6'4" and 235 lbs.

There are a lot of them out there and I am looking at 2008 models mainly. There are many that interest me but the one that really catches my eye is the Ducati Multistrada 1100s.

Price is not a big thing. Well, I should say I don't want to spent more than what I would on a multistrada but would like to def save money.

I want something that is gonna be powerful enough for 2-up, fun with great handling. As far as Speed, I don't care if the bike goes 200 mph, or even 150 for that matter. I am really looking for comfort and handing over other things.

Most my friends have either Harleys or sports bikes so I'm sure riding on unpaved rodes will be minimal/non-existent.

So I would like to know what bikes you guys might suggest to me to research further. I would love a Aprilia, but I don't think they really had anything that would meet my needs in the 2008 model year.
Madd Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Triumph SprintST. The Big4 and BMW sportourers are all too porcine to be considered on the sport end except BMWs F800. I think you can even get test rides on Triumphs and beemers.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Check out the naked bikes too. You can equip them with luggage and windscreens if that's your preference.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You said Sport Tour, right? Concours 14. Unless you like hanging out at the Ducati shop.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
12er
Founding Member

K1200S with ESA, Triumph Sprint, try on the Triumph Tiger with your height. The local Triumph dealer pretty much confiscated their Tiger test unit for personal use. The FJ, Connie 14 and Honda ST are just too big for my taste, even though I have a K1200RS it feels smaller than the other three. The Multi's seat is horrible IMO and dont know what the aftermarket has for it but stock is pretty bad. If the ole lady is on back often your going to want to ditch the stock seat on any bike. I bought a Sargent for my ride and love it, my Wife was much happier. VFR is probably too small, the new Aprilia 750 / 850's come with bags I believe, but you'll be looking for a windshield per Sachi's comment. Yamaha FZ1 with givi's may fit the bill. Though I'm going to go with the Tiger! Even Ken's Vstrom would fit the bill if you could stand to look at it (sorry Ken *pokes with stick*).
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You're a pretty big guy so the bigger S/T bikes might be to your liking.

The multi is a nice choice along with Ducati's ST4 which is no longer made but low mile examples could be easily found.

The Triumph is a nice choice.

On the larger side of things: The Concours 14, BMWK1200GT and Yamaha FJR are all great choices. They handle surprisingly well for their size and are great with a passenger. The smaller S/Ts aren't as wonderful with a passenger considering your height. You better have a small woman.

I've ridden most of these and like 'em all. I'm 5-10 though and will fit on a wider variety of bikes a little better than you.

Check out some of MOs past articles on S/T bikes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Madd Hatter
Registered Member

Well, I would be interested in a bigger bike if they would handle well. Would you consider the Multistrada more of a small or larger bike in the S/T Category?

Question about the K1200S, Is that more of a sports seating position or a more ergo seating position? And how would you rate its comfort?

My girl is 5'9' and about 140(don't tell her I know or I'm dead!) So I don't know if that will change what you all are recommending to me.
Madd Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Hatter View Post
Well, I would be interested in a bigger bike if they would handle well. Would you consider the Multistrada more of a small or larger bike in the S/T Category?

Question about the K1200S, Is that more of a sports seating position or a more ergo seating position? And how would you rate its comfort?

My girl is 5'9' and about 140(don't tell her I know or I'm dead!) So I don't know if that will change what you all are recommending to me.
The Multi is a pretty good bike for a tall guy. However, the pipes exit right under the seat and the woman might be less than thrilled.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Even Ken's Vstrom would fit the bill if you could stand to look at it (sorry Ken *pokes with stick*).
It's all part of Suzuki's Custom Mass Production plan: Ugly Bikes for Ugly Riders. Keeps it exclusive, you know...we can't have every other noob wheeling by on a DL1K.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
ShawnKing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Hatter View Post
I am looking for a bike that can be used as a daily commuter but can go for long trips 2-up comfortably. I am 6'4" and 235 lbs.
I'm about the same size (OK...30 lbs heavier but who's counting calories!?)
Quote:
There are a lot of them out there and I am looking at 2008 models mainly. So I would like to know what bikes you guys might suggest to me to research further.
I ride and love my new '08 Yamaha FJR 1300. Wife has been on the back (not often - she has a BMW F800ST) and she says it's nice (needs to be better with a backrest and better seat). It has buttloads of power, is fun in the twisties and, with some fairly minor changes for a big guy, great for long distances.

Got mine 5 months ago and have already put 10K miles on it!
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote