Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Hatter View Post
Well, I would be interested in a bigger bike if they would handle well. Would you consider the Multistrada more of a small or larger bike in the S/T Category?

Question about the K1200S, Is that more of a sports seating position or a more ergo seating position? And how would you rate its comfort?

My girl is 5'9' and about 140(don't tell her I know or I'm dead!) So I don't know if that will change what you all are recommending to me.
There are two sizes of Multistradas, a 620 and a 1000. They are small and medium, I'd say.

As for the BMWs, the K1200_S_ is a sportbike in the BMW mode. The K1200_RS_ is a sport-touring bike with a more sporting seating position. The K1200_GT_ is the grand touring luxo barge, with the most upright position.

This may not matter to you, but many of the bikes suggested (Concours 1400, FJR, K1200GT, etc) are very heavy. They have big engines and loads of power. IMO they are too big and too heavy, and the only reason they are popular is because Americans equate bigger with better. These big bikes may be right for you, but don't make the mistake of assuming that just because they are bigger/more powerful/etc etc they must be a "better" bike.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
There are two sizes of Multistradas, a 620 and a 1000. They are small and medium, I'd say.

As for the BMWs, the K1200_S_ is a sportbike in the BMW mode. The K1200_RS_ is a sport-touring bike with a more sporting seating position. The K1200_GT_ is the grand touring luxo barge, with the most upright position.

This may not matter to you, but many of the bikes suggested (Concours 1400, FJR, K1200GT, etc) are very heavy. They have big engines and loads of power. IMO they are too big and too heavy, and the only reason they are popular is because Americans equate bigger with better. These big bikes may be right for you, but don't make the mistake of assuming that just because they are bigger/more powerful/etc etc they must be a "better" bike.
Remember, the guy is 6-4. Take a look at the picture of longride sitting on my Brutale and you'll realize he needs a bigger bike.

All those heavy bikes are well-engineered and handle just fine.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

The best choice for 2 up riding without breaking the bank: FJR---hands down. I own k100rs and my cousin owns the FJR. Our skill level is pretty similar and my 21yo bike handles really well for it's age, but the FJR stomps the k bike into the ground. For a few dollars less you could get a first gen. FZ1 and put fairing lowers and bags on it without spending more than $5K.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Remember, the guy is 6-4. Take a look at the picture of longride sitting on my Brutale and you'll realize he needs a bigger bike.

All those heavy bikes are well-engineered and handle just fine.
Re-read my last sentence.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
I am looking for a bike that can be used as a daily commuter but can go for long trips 2-up comfortably. I am 6'4" and 235 lbs.

There are a lot of them out there and I am looking at 2008 models mainly. There are many that interest me but the one that really catches my eye is the Ducati Multistrada 1100s.

Price is not a big thing. Well, I should say I don't want to spent more than what I would on a multistrada but would like to def save money.

I want something that is gonna be powerful enough for 2-up, fun with great handling. As far as Speed, I don't care if the bike goes 200 mph, or even 150 for that matter. I am really looking for comfort and handing over other things.

Most my friends have either Harleys or sports bikes so I'm sure riding on unpaved rodes will be minimal/non-existent.

So I would like to know what bikes you guys might suggest to me to research further. I would love a Aprilia, but I don't think they really had anything that would meet my needs in the 2008 model year.
ZG1400!PERIOD
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
pushrod
Founding Member

'2-up' is the kicker. There are not a lot of bikes that serve the pillion well.

If the 2-up is really important, you need to look at the big STs, or even the Harley FLs. Yeah, I can hear yur eyes roll up in your head, but they are great commuter bikes, they are great on the road, and the passenger will love you. And, you'll fit on it. "Sporty" isn't on the list, but they will haul @ss, especially with the big motors.

Caution: The new FLs have heat issues. Of course, pretty much all the new big bikes do.

My avatar insists that I suggest the Tiger, but I don't think it is a good answer for the 2-up requirement. The Sprint (which is what I ride) is too small for you. I like the new Rocket III Touring, but the above "Sporty" comment applies.

Lastly, a good friend of mine and his wife share you and yours' sizes, and they ride a GS1200. They love it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Madd Hatter
Registered Member

2-up is key. If it was just me, I'd prolly sit myself on a wee-strom or a multi 620 Or the f800st! The f800st really peaks my interest. I'd be happy with that if I could 2 up with a total weight(gear and everything) of ~400-450 would be my guestimate. While this bike will be 70% of the time just me, last think I want is for my girl to feel fat when the bike can't perform with her on it.

I don't need the BIGGEST bike around. I need the power to go from Phoenix to San Diego and to go up and down the Pacific Coast Highway comfortably and without having to keep the throttle open to do it. I know I could get a smaller bike and do it by myself. If there was a way I could outfit a smaller bike to support me, my woman and our luggage, I'd be interested in hearing it.

The vee strom is a bike I have been looking at. I don't think they are ugly at all, and actually like them. *ducks* But I was wondering what others you may recommend to me to look into. I do like what I see with tiger and sprint. And I really really like the bmw f800st. Comfort is important, and its ok if its a sporting seating position as long as I am not riding on my wrists and my girl is comfortable. But I think that might be asking too much and think a more upright seating position would be better.
Madd Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

V Strom would be a good choice, and you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it (ahemm)...... The paradox is any bike that's good two up isn't going to be that sporty, throw in you and your partners size and you're pretty much in the upper end like FJR/ Concours/K1200GT or R1200RT.. The Sprint is going to be cramped as will the Ducati. You might look at a M.G. Norge, they're a pretty comfy bike for the larger rider from what I can see. Other than that you're up into the Harley FL's like the Road Glide and Electraglide Standard, both of which can haul the freight and corner alot better than you would think.

Me personally for a Sport Tourer I'd probably get the K1200GT or the Concourse.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #19
Madd Hatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The paradox is any bike that's good two up isn't going to be that sporty, throw in you and your partners size and you're pretty much in the upper end like FJR/ Concours/K1200GT or R1200RT..
Quote:
Me personally for a Sport Tourer I'd probably get the K1200GT or the Concourse.
Well, let me just say, when we are touring 2up I am not really worried about the sports handling as much. I just want comfort at that point and a bike that won't be bogged down.

I have no problem taking off the tank bags or whatever I have to hold our equipment and take advantage of the improved handling on my rides with my friends and on my daily commute.

We 2up about 2-4 times every 2-5 months. So its fairly frequent but not always long rides, I'd say average would be 300 miles. But max would be 1300 in a few days and those are about 1-2 a year.
Madd Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
ShawnKing
Registered Member

Quote:
And I really really like the bmw f800st.
My wife rides that bike and it's great but 2 things - I wouldn't want to go long distances 2-up on it and, all in, it was *way* more expensive than my FJR which *is* a bike designed for sport touring and does 2-up with ease.
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote