Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9161-2008-ducati-desmosedici-rr-review.html)

Administrator 08-08-2008 04:04 PM

2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR Review

Original Article:
2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 08-08-2008 04:25 PM

WOW! That's entertainment!

Kenneth_Moore 08-08-2008 04:43 PM

"More bike than I can handle" from our esteemed Chief Editor Mr. Duke? This cannot be so. You just agreed to say that if Ducati let you ride one, right?

12er 08-08-2008 05:54 PM

They sound soo good. Nice hearing Randy on the 2 up at laguna this year. The 800's whine like a very very loud 600, not as soul stirring.

tripleripple 08-08-2008 07:12 PM

Good. Lord.

Kevin_Duke 08-08-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 190948)
"More bike than I can handle" from our esteemed Chief Editor Mr. Duke? This cannot be so. You just agreed to say that if Ducati let you ride one, right?

I guess the "can handle" part needs explanation. If I couldn't handle it, I wouldn't be salivating every time I watch and listen to the accompanying video. I'll gladly run a full D16RR tank dry anytime someone offers one.

On the other hand, that thing is such a beast and so stiffly sprung that I'll bet I clocked in quicker laps on most of the 600s we were also testing that day! The bike's cool owner is also a lightweight like myself, and he's getting softer springs for his D16, which I expect to sample at some point in the future. BTW, he's also getting a set of 1098S wheels for the D16 so he can run more conventional sport rubber instead of the RR's 16-inch rear.

In summary, I rode the D16RR like a pansy, but I loved every second of it!

Kenneth_Moore 08-09-2008 08:41 AM

Thanks Kevin, I knew there had to be a context for that remark. Or: "Never have I ridden a machine more capable of exacerbating my ineptness than this 400-lb pit bull," said senior editor Pete Brissette after a wide-eyed session aboard the Desmo. I suspect an average rider like myself would probably wad the thing up at the first corner.

Which leads to a question: what are the credentials Ducati looks for before they sell one of these bikes? I can't believe anybody with 72 large in their pocket can just walk in and buy one. Do you have to "know a guy?" Have owned other Ducatis? How did Mr. Ko wind up with his?

Duken4evr 08-09-2008 09:07 AM

Do stay friendly with Mr. Ko. I like to hear about it when he shares his toys with you guys.

Good job also conveying the excitement and commingled fear that goes with riding a motorcycle that costs over 72K on a racetrack. Living vicariously on this end reading all that. If presented with the reality, I am not sure the old ticker could take it!

MOKE1K 08-09-2008 09:24 AM

Good article! Love when I hear companies say its straght from Motogp?

This is the real deal only 30hp shy of C.Stoners Bike! Wish the Japanese would follow suit. Had the BigWigs from Suzuki in the dealer last week and mentioned they should think about doing something along these lines like the Yoshimura Zero.

Would love to throw a leg over this thing at a racetrack anyday.

ShawnKing 08-09-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 190976)
Which leads to a question: what are the credentials Ducati looks for before they sell one of these bikes? I can't believe anybody with 72 large in their pocket can just walk in and buy one.

None that I'm aware of. Our local shop has tried to sell me one and I'm not a former or present Duc owner.