Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
kimdankids
Registered Member

Talking I need your advice on which bike to buy

I have been looking at the Honda Sabre 1100 and the Suzuki Boulevard C50.The only bike I have owned is a GSX-R 750, I have never ridden a cruiser so I am not sure how many cc's I need. I weigh about 250lbs, Is the C50 with 800cc going to have enough power or do I need to go up to the sabre 1100 ? I haven't ridden for about 12 years and am not sure how the power of bikes has changed, or how it compares to a sportbike. I can find information on each bike on line, however I cant find any one comparing different bike classes. Any feed back you might have would be appreciated.
kimdankids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

If your used to an old Gixxer your in for a unpleasant surprise on a cruiser. 250lbs the 1100 may seem weak. But after the decade long laps you may want to start back on one of the smaller ones.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

First purchase a Honda CL100 to get acquanted with bikes again, then you can move up to the bigger stuff without impaling yourself on an SUV's bumper. And if you like riding the CL100, you can join a circus and tie it into that "fifty clowns piling out of a Fiat 500" routine. Goes over swell with the kiddies, and you might just be a big hit in the big top! A new star is born!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Go find a 2000-2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400 and call it a day. You'll spend about $3500 for it. They are bullet proof. Not the fanciest. Not the most popular. But cheap to buy. Cheap to own. Easy to hot-rod when you want more or easy to sell when you want to move on.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
kimdankids
Registered Member

I can get either bike for the same price. which is the better bike? If I go with the 800cc will out grow it? even if i dont have the same need for speed any more.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
kimdankids
Registered Member

I am not sure about a used bike, but thank you for the advice and i will look into the 1400 prices around here.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

An 800 cruiser will give you enough power, as long as you don't expect huge rushes of high rpm acceleration. As for which is the better bike, well, they are both decent enough. I personally don't think either one is great, but then I don't like cruisers.

One of the reasons we tend to suggest a used bike for new or re-entry riders is because bike choice is very personal. It is not just about looks, but about how the bike fits you. And "fit" is not something you can determine by sitting on it in a showroom. A motorcycle is a dynamic machine, and you'll have to deal with air blast, noise, vibration, the entire experience of riding the bike at speed. A bike that may seem comfortable in a showroom (big comfy seat, mmm) can be agony to ride above 30 mph, once the wind hits you. Or you may find that the bike's controls don't fit very well. Or or or. Figuring out what you may want takes some experience, and a good way to get experience is to get something used, see how it works and figure out what's important to YOU for riding. Then you can more intelligently pick a new bike.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
kimdankids
Registered Member

Default thanks

Thank you for your advice, all of you, well except for the crack smoker on the c100. It is nice to get some feed back form seasoned riders. thank you for your time.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdankids View Post
Thank you for your advice, all of you, well except for the crack smoker on the c100. It is nice to get some feed back form seasoned riders. thank you for your time.
I don't know, I think if I ran across a restored Honda CL100 it might peak my interest.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I don't know, I think if I ran across a restored Honda CL100 it might peak my interest.
I have about 92.6% of one at my Dad's farm, in the basement...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote