Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
jakescheel
Registered Member

Default Question about ninja 250

I am looking for a bike to learn on I am 6 foot tall and weight 185 pounds. I was wondering if a ninja 250 would be enough to get me around town and on 50 mile trips on the highway through st. louis. Thanks you
jakescheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescheel View Post
I am looking for a bike to learn on I am 6 foot tall and weight 185 pounds. I was wondering if a ninja 250 would be enough to get me around town and on 50 mile trips on the highway through st. louis. Thanks you
The ninja can top out at around 105-110mph. You will have no problem around town and on the highway.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

People do Iron Butt rides on those bikes (over 1000 miles in 24 hours). 50 miles is nothing.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Even long after you sell it and move up, you'll look back and miss it. Buy it, buy all the gear and take the msf course. Read the new riders thread twice!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
bbtowns
Founding Member

I'm 6' 1" and 210. I rode my buddies ninja 250 recently (not the new update either) and it's plenty fast to get started (and keep riding for years). Cruising at 75 is well within it's capabilities. It really is everything you need for everything but long distance touring; it's perfect for commuting and back road peg scratching. Sachi's right, people have even done the IBA rally on a Ninja 250, but it's pretty unconventional.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
startedonaCB
Registered Member

Just to add to this question how do you guys feel about the Ninja 500R for a big guy who has not rode in years and has the itch again? Would that be a better choice than the 250R if you are around 270lbs?
startedonaCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by startedonaCB View Post
Just to add to this question how do you guys feel about the Ninja 500R for a big guy who has not rode in years and has the itch again? Would that be a better choice than the 250R if you are around 270lbs?
It just depends on what is comfortable to you. But both the 250r and 500r are fine starting bikes, especially if you buy them used. The 250r is a little more compact so taller riders (over 6 feet, no matter how much you weigh) may feel a bit cramped.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
startedonaCB
Registered Member

Thank you BrowningBAR, I will get motorcycle tips from you and since your name indicates you are a firearms enthusiast let me know if you need any tips on firearms. That would be my expertise. Incidently Im not a new rider, just a rusty one, havent owned or riden since 1995 but have the "itch" again. I think I will get a used Ninja either 600 or bigger because cruisers and standards are ok but the sports bikes seem to handle better, especially if you are rusty like Iam. thanks again.
startedonaCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Admitting to "bein' rusty" is the first step in the long road to Recovery.

An MSF Beginning Rider course would not be inappropriate for you - at the very least you should consider taking the Experienced Rider course.

I'll not even go into the Gear Issue rightabout now, funk-soul-brutha', checkitout now, funk-soul-brutha'.........

(Sorry, just one of my alter-egos breaking-through. Next thing you know, I'll be Channeling The Kook again.)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by startedonaCB View Post
I think I will get a used Ninja either 600 or bigger because cruisers and standards are ok but the sports bikes seem to handle better, especially if you are rusty like I am. thanks again.
You are making an assumption that may bite you. The 600 and larger Ninjas (and the comparable bikes from other companies) are generally designed to handle well under pressure and on smooth roads. Think racetracks at speed. They often do poorly at slow speeds or on rough roads. Unless you are a good enough rider to get the best out of a all-on sportbike, you'll likely find a standard or sport-touring sort of bike to be superior.

The little Ninjas - 250 and 500 - are much more forgiving than the larger ones. Thus our recommendations.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote