Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default 1k mile report.....

slow news day it seems so I'll digress on my first 1000 miles on the bagger, ummm...it runs great LOL.


No really, it does run great, starts and settles into a nice computer controlled digitally ignitioned closed loop fuel injected idle with the slightest brush of the starter button. I let it warm up while I put on my coat and helmet and away it goes, no muss no fuss just smooth refined acceleration..doesn't even have the Harley clunk going into first, just buckets of smooth torquey acceleration as fast as you want to twist the grip. No flat spots or hesitation that I can feel and no wierdness associated with the fly-by-wire. I figured out how to set the hot weather cut-off deal where it'll drop the rear cylinder at a certain temp. not that I'm likly to need it around here..

I've been playing around with the ABS as well, it's been raining the last few days so I've tried it out in the wet as well as gravel and it works as advertised, good controlled steerable stops from just about any speed from 45~50 on down. I practice braking alot and I think I'm fairly good at it but I think anyone who says they can stop quicker on a non ABS bike is fooling themselves. It's VERY difficult to pull off a good panic stop on cold wet roads with normal brakes, you're almost always going to skid the rear wheel at least, even if you can control the front without lock-up. On this bike it's just grab a handfull and stop..there's a millisecond where the tires skid but then it's maximum braking while still maintaning steering controls. F*n' brilliant, these guys really did their homework on this one.

Other things like overall handling lean angles and comfort and weather protection are what you'd expect for a big touring bike though it corners a lot better than I thought it would, you can keep up a pretty good clip on tight roads once you get used to throwing the weight around. Good balance and geometry are the key here with the caveat that this is no sport bike or even sport tourer, it's a tank. However it's a tank that handles surpisingly well.

The only downside is that the windshield effects the air flow through the vents on my Shoei Multitek so I wind up cracking the faceshield a little or I have to gag on my own helmet-funk.. A pretty small price to pay really for good weather protection..
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-01-2008 at 07:29 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

So were you spot-on in your first choice of arm chap color and trim?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,449
Default

Nice, what's that "drop the rear cylinder" when the temp goes up deal? Sounds scary. I always liked the big hawgs for being just that, big strong motorcycles. When I use to break in Heritage Soft Tails back in '04 for a rental place, that cemented my thoughts on big hawleys. Good stuff. And pretty fast too (for what they are). Gave more than a few sporty types the quick way up Angeles Crest. Rat on shipmate.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

I'm just wondering how it took this long to get 1K on the bike. Are you slipping in your old age? Do we need to send you a case of Geritol?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default No geritol please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'm just wondering how it took this long to get 1K on the bike. Are you slipping in your old age? Do we need to send you a case of Geritol?

I know, two weeks for 1k is ridiculas but I've had to work a lot of hours and plus I've had other things to do that have cut into my riding time....I'll try to do better..

Cuddy, it's a process where the rear cylinder cuts out and acts as an air pump when it reaches a certain temp. while idling or real slow going. You can enable or disable it by turning the ignition on with the bike off and rolling the throttle forward against the stop, the cruise control icon will flash and change color to let you know if it's on or not. Apparently some people have complained about the engine throwing off a lot of heat, more so with lowers attached than mine. As soon as you move the throttle the back cylnder fires up like normal.

I've only had it come on once while sitting in construction traffic. you can hear the difference but as soon as you move it kicks back in. I think it's a pretty slick set-up, more applicable in other parts of the country than here but still a good idea.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I know, two weeks for 1k is ridiculas but I've had to work a lot of hours and plus I've had other things to do that have cut into my riding time....I'll try to do better..

Cuddy, it's a process where the rear cylinder cuts out and acts as an air pump when it reaches a certain temp. while idling or real slow going. You can enable or disable it by turning the ignition on with the bike off and rolling the throttle forward against the stop, the cruise control icon will flash and change color to let you know if it's on or not. Apparently some people have complained about the engine throwing off a lot of heat, more so with lowers attached than mine. As soon as you move the throttle the back cylnder fires up like normal.

I've only had it come on once while sitting in construction traffic. you can hear the difference but as soon as you move it kicks back in. I think it's a pretty slick set-up, more applicable in other parts of the country than here but still a good idea.
Well, okay this time. It's just weird to see you go so long to get 1K on a new bike. Usually it's the first weekend.

Wish my Shovelhead had that rear cylinder cut out thingie. That thing used to really fry the ol' cojones in the summer. I used to run 50% av-gas which eliminated the pinging but it was still fry city.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

So how about a photo or two of the new bike? The fixed fairing and windshield on the Road Glide give it the best comfort level of any HD I ever rode; you can smoke a cigar on the thing without losing the ash, and hear the CD player clearly at 80 mph. I don't know why anyone would pick the batwing 'Glides over your bike.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So how about a photo or two of the new bike? The fixed fairing and windshield on the Road Glide give it the best comfort level of any HD I ever rode; you can smoke a cigar on the thing without losing the ash, and hear the CD player clearly at 80 mph. I don't know why anyone would pick the batwing 'Glides over your bike.
I did get a Batwing Glide... I like the look.. I was thinking of getting the RG but I got a better deal on the FLHT so I went for it. I'll try'n post some photos but I am sad to say, barely computer literate, if they don't load right the first time I' at a loss what to do next.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I did get a Batwing Glide... I like the look.. I was thinking of getting the RG but I got a better deal on the FLHT so I went for it. I'll try'n post some photos but I am sad to say, barely computer literate, if they don't load right the first time I' at a loss what to do next.
Oops! Did I mention that the classic good looks of the Batwing fairing have made it America's favorite heavyweight touring bike for over 5 decades? And that it's modular construction and light weight make it handle effortlessly in tight situations? And that chicks dig guys with a big batwing?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default Why, yes you did......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Oops! Did I mention that the classic good looks of the Batwing fairing have made it America's favorite heavyweight touring bike for over 5 decades? And that it's modular construction and light weight make it handle effortlessly in tight situations? And that chicks dig guys with a big batwing?
.. but it's kind of you to mention it again in case any of our viewers at home missed it the first time..

(flashes perfectly straight white teeth in ingratiating smile for the camera...)

The Farting Preacher - Video
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off